dealing with debt

I love Evanescence! I might be the only 43-year-old who does, but I do. Their 2nd CD kicked butt too--I esp. loved that slow song, don't remember the title, but the one about I can't say no to you. They can do heavy or slow. I also love that song Broken that Amy Lee did with Seether.

50 year olds (me:eek) Love Evanescence too! My husband gets a kick when I walk around with my MP3 player and headphones (real headphones.. not those ucky ear buds) singing out loud with Amy. I can't hear myself and he can't hear Amy.. LOL .. poor guy.

Can I join? I'm 29 :). Cindy, the song you're thinking of is called "Good Enough." Amy says she wrote it about her new husband.

Speaking of husbands, mine is having his mother come stay with us and this holiday is supposed to be about familys. No vacations, just home with the tree and all. He doesn't have a dad and mine's crazy. But I love my grandparents and the aunts are like my big sisters. My granddad still stocks up on batteries before Christmas. Then when the little ones are tearing open their gifts, he's on standby ready to save the day :).

hubby is 57 and i am 51 and we both love amy lees singing and her songs. in fact hubby took both kids to seattle when they were playing(i didn't go cause can't stand or sit that long due to health issues) but i sure enjoyed seeing my family be so happy. i wish they were coming here soon but i don't think it is going to happen:P

I think a vast majority of people are in some kind of financial crisis this season. I'm in that boat as well, but it's all my doing. My husband and I are very alike and when it comes to money, that's mostly true as well. I tend to be responsible about it most of the time (pay the bills on time, make sure the needs come before the wants, etc.) but after months of us being good and not blowing our funds, we both go a little hog wild with retail therapy. Per the usual, this year we over spent again and I gotta tell you, we will be paying for it for at least 6-12 months. It'll probably take two tax returns to pay off all the credit cards. lol We have 5 kids total, two are mine and at home, and three are his with his ex- and they live with her. We do set a strict budget for them for toys, clothes, etc. for Christmas, and stick to it. I try to give little gifts to our nieces and nephews and this year that means about $5 per kid for gifts for them. It's not much at all, and it won't get them much, but I'm being creative.

I also have to agree with JoAnn. Most of the time kids don't remember what they got within 3 months of getting it. The only material gifts I remember growing up had extreme sentimental value to me, other than that it's all a blur. The best gift I ever got, and I still get every year on Christmas is having breakfast at my grandmother's house on Christmas morning. She makes me fried apples (my favorite... mmmm!). The food is always spot on and the company of loved ones can't be beat. Although I would trade one uncle by marriage for some better company... that's another story.

If you guys are tight like we are, just get creative. I developed a very dear friendship with a classmate this semester (I'm in college for a second time around to do what I have always wanted to do... nursing!) and knew I couldn't afford to buy her anything really, so I made her a few things and passed along something of mine that I know she will enjoy. She and I would often go grab coffee between classes, so I made her a Jazzy Java Jacket (on CrochetMe site) with some awesome cotton yarn (Peaches and Cream Fiesta Ombre) and some FUCHSIA (I stress that, it's loud!) furry yarn for trim. It's girly and bright and you can't help but smile when you see it. lol She also likes to read similar books that I enjoy, but like me, she rarely has time to read something akin to War and Peace since she's got a young child at home. I ended up giving her my copy of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It's a story about friendship, love, regret and redemption over a lifetime between two women. If you haven't read it, get it from the library. It's an awesome book and a very quick read. I wrote a touching note on the first blank side of a page I could find in the book to her and requested that she pass it along to another dear girlfriend with a note as well. Starting a new tradition for NO MONEY! (The book was given to me by my mother in law.) I had in my stash some great thin yarn that was shimmery and a beautiful shade of periwinkle and I made a fan bookmark out of it that I ended up marking the page that I wrote the note on. I haven't given these items to her yet, but I'm really hoping she'll love it. I'll be seeing her tomorrow before our last final of the semester and she'll get the stuff then. I do hope that the thought counts because I did it because I adore her and have really enjoyed getting to know her and becoming her friend.

No matter what, enjoy yourselves and your loved ones during the holidays!

The things you remember at holidays is not gifts, but what happens. My favorites are, grandma's lemon meringue pie on Thanks Giving and my aunts Christmas coffee cake and hot cocoa with whipped cream, on Christmas. I give gift cards ($5 - $10) to my nieces and nephew for their favorite stores.

Ellie 13

Archived