What's the most you've made for a silent auction?

I'm thinking about making something for a silent auction to benefit Girl Scouts... probably high-end donors. I really want to help raise a good amount (a favorite cause of mine... and this money will go to prevent the camp property from being sold, probably to a timber company), and I've heard some horror stories ($5 afghans!). Has anyone been able to make a lot of money? I know it depends a lot on who's there bidding!

My thought right now is maybe a really nice wrap, made with laceweight wool. Or should I stick to something less expensive?

Well, our school has a silent auction every year and I'm afraid that crochet does not do well. Not because it isn't fabulous, but it's the kids that go around and see things and want their parents to bid on that sell the best. The best thing that I made with my school team members in my grade, was a huge basket full of board games and some DVD's. It was all wrapped up in clear plastic with a big bow on it we all donated to it. Every kid that went by really wanted it and it ended up going for $95! Some of the games in there were Mancala, checkers, microwave popcorn packs, chess, card games, Jenga, Skip Bo. I do love crochet, and I think the best selling things are things in crochet is for babies. Several of our baskets went well because they were themed for babies and in pink or blue, so that people who had a baby coming would be interested. One of our teachers bought a huge set for her upcoming grandson. It was a big hit!!!! It had a baby blanket, booties, and layette things in crochet, but then it also had diapers, bottles and stuff like that. I hope I have given you some good ideas for things that would sell well. Good luck!!! :hook

I work at an auction hall and we have a different charity every year that we sponsor. This year it's a children's hospital that's being built in the area. The staff has for the last couple of years decided to bring items to auction off for the charity instead of exchanging gifts. Last year I donated a felted tote (sold for $50), a felted snowman gift bag (sold for $25), and a felted hat (sold for $48). Felted items seem to sell pretty well. Some people have never seen anything like them, plus, they are easy and quick to make. I hope this helps!

I donated one of my Garcelle Christening sets to the Huntington's Disease Society's auction in September. The organizer (my neighbor) paired it with a $30 Stride Rite gift card, and the whole thing went for $100. Then again, I also didn't exactly skimp on the materials. I used a better-quality thread, ribbons, and buttons, and I hand-sewed an Irish linen lining into it with French seams.

I really think smokeyp81 has a great idea...make some felted items to donate, as most people who aren't "crafty" can't figure out how they're made, and each piece is a unique item. If you like, you may even use my Broccoli Bobble Bag pattern to make up a few in different colors and see how well they do (you can find the pattern on my blog, or go to CPC and look it up ;)).

Archived