Christmas Bazaar

How many of you out there participate in Christmas Bazaars in your area? What types of items do you sell? Do you do many different items or just a lot of one thing? Just curious. This is something I'm thinking about for next year.

I'm doing my first bazaar this Friday. I've made some hats, lots of hair scrunchies, a bunch of small stockings as tree ornaments and a few drawstring bags. I wasn't sure what to make either. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just went to a large craft show this past Sat. There were TONS of washcloths/dishcloths. So I would say to not make them. That market is saturated.

I did find a lady with the most amazing sense of humor and she had a table FULL of really fun hotpads in fun designs. All kinds of holiday ones, funny animals, etc. I got a christmas tree from her. she had a bull's head with a ring in his nose! that cracked me up!

I did a Christmas fundraiser sale this weekend and bombed! There was only one other crochet person there and she only had ponchos. She didn't sell anything! I only sold a purse, some headbands, and fudge.

Hope you have better luck!

I haven't done a bazaar in years. I do occasionally go to one. You should have a variety of things. Get away from the usual bazaar items -- dishcloths, hotpads, ponchos, etc.

Here are some ideas:

Amigurumi

Christmas ornaments - and not just thread snowflakes

Hats/caps/beanies (matching scarves are optional)

Pet articles - dog/cat blankies (fleece trimmed with yarn), collars or sweaters

Anything in University of Kentucky colors

Baby hats & booties

Hair accessories -- scrunchies, bows, headbands

Bookmarks

The big issue will be the price you set. Keep your prices reasonable. Remember the public doesn't appreciate the time it takes to make things and they won't pay high prices. Don't expect to be reimbursed for the time to make the item. As an example: you have this really cute snowman ornament that you spent 3 hours making with a price tag of $10.00 on it, it won't sell. I doubt it would sell for $7 either.

Keep in mind that children will also be accompanying their parent. They may be looking for gifts as well. Have some little, quick items priced that a child could afford (i.e. bookmarks with the long tails).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do bazaars, but I donate my services to a senior group. We make a variety of things that we crochet, knit, sew, do plastic canvas, and cut, paste & glue. We make baby sets, afghans, stuffed toys, dolls, hats, scarves, ornaments, wall hangings, pillows, towel toppers, and other novelty items. The money raised from the sale of these items are split between 3 charities. We have the sales several times a year, and we feature holiday and/or seasonal items, depending on the time of the year.

Baby/Kid's stuff. Things like scarves, hats, bags for kids that don't require a specific size. How about dolly and me sets... one for the kid, a tiny matching one for her doll. Maybe baby blankets, but not many because they would require a higher price.

Joan

I went to a Fundraiser for an elem. school ... And sold some blankets for real cheap.

2@15.00/1@10.00/1smallone@5.00/a raider color ribbon scarf. But noticed that alot of the kids wanted lil knick knacks.(pencils, girlie things, barrettes, etc)

There was one other table across from me and she sold scarfs and hats sets. But she didn't sell alot either. The two tables next to me sold majority of knick knack items. Alot of lil items from Foam Board xmas items.

jaye

Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. We did 2 bazaars last weekend and sold hardly anything. The hair scrunchies which I thought would do well, I ended up only selling a few and I had marked those 50p (US equiv. $1 I think). I did sell 5 hats at £2.50 each. This was my first year doing these and while lots of people commented on how pretty things were and how well made they were, they just weren't interested in buying. My friend said I should mark the prices lower. :eek Personally I thought they were lower than they should have been but I know our area and knew if the prices were too high, nothing would sell. But now I can say I've tried it, right?? lol I just gave a stack of hats to the homeless shelter and have a stack of kids hats/scarves waiting to go to the Salvation Army. I've decided to go back to crocheting because I love it, not to sell it. I'm really loving making hats so I've made a few more for the homeless shelter and have started some preemie hats for the hospital. That should keep me out of trouble for a little while. lol

Good luck with you bazaar and to anyone else that lives in an area where you can sell a few bits. :)

Archived