Question for Australian Crochters

kylieB

Australian Crochety Mag.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Australian Crochety Mag.

• Would be interested in buying
    • Prefer to buy an American or English Mag.
    • Don't care where it comes from

There WAS one, years ago - I have forgotten what it was called. From memory, it was quite a thick magazine, glossy covers, and I think it was published quarterly. Spotlight used to sell it as well as newsagents. Was it called "Australian Crochet"? - I'll have to rummage through my boxes and see if I can find a copy.

It just fizzled out, I think - no announcement that it wasn't going to be published anymore.

I liked it because you didn't have to worry about substituting threads and yarns - and it was good having local advertisements as well.

Thank-you for you feed back, the reason I was asking is, I am finding espically in Australia, some of the crochet Magz. really give crochet a bad name, and most people associate crochet with 'Tea Pot covers'(which are lovely), though I really want to see more funky trendy stuff to get the next generation hooked.

Am I mad or do you think it would be a good idea?

:) - I'm probably the wrong person to ask then - I don't "do" funky and trendy. I love thread and fine lace. I have never crocheted a garment, if it's fibre, it's knitted; but if you're looking for fabulous modern designs to hook the younger generation, you have only to visit Cupcake's Etsy store - her patterns are amazing!

There was one a few years ago but they only published five editions - of which I have them all - It was great being able to just go for it and not having to substitute yarns, hooks etc.

It's always so hard to like a new magazine. When you compare them with those already on the market that is. I hated Australian scrapbooking magazines for years after they first started. Bought one here and there but the American ones I would buy every month without fail. The knitting mags I tend to buy the UK ones at the moment. The Aussie ones are creeping into my home more and more so they must be getting better. I love to support anything home grown, but if the quality isn't there I simply don't want it. Cost is always a factor for me too. I have found (with the scrapping mags esepcially) you can get a really low rate magazine for the same price or more, than the top-notch US ones. Such a turn off!

I totally agree, price is everything (most of the time), I think what went wrong with the old mag was that there was no variety and nothing to make you go out and want to buy it.

I myself would love to seem an Ozzie mag, the question being would there be a bigger enough market out there to warrent one?????

I am in the process of researching this and am really considering coming up with the idea of publishing one (though it will be difficulat).

I thank everyone for there commits, if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to comment!! :)

An online magazine would not necessarily be limited to a purely Australian readership. Knitty has set the benchmark,and that's a free publication; perhaps you could self-publish a magazine, along the lines of one or two of the tatting booklets I have seen, and charge about A$10 for them? I would rather pay for a tangible magazine than an online one.

I don't know what other people think about it. A CD of patterns would be good too, but then you'd have postage costs as well; you'd have that anyway, with a self-published booklet.

For me to buy any magazine,it would have to include the "old fashioned" lacy stuff like doilies and edgings and cute teacosies- baby items are good also. I think I have already said that funky garments don't interest me, although I LOVE shawls and stoles!

But I'm just one person, and not a very trendy one - not representative of your future readership!

Good luck with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry I've posted a bit late.....but just come across this thread. I subscribe to Interweave (crochet), Crochet! and Crochet Today.....all US mags. I LOVE THEM :manyheart and would love :heart to subscribe to an Aussie mag.....but we don't have one :ohdear:cry.

Hope we can get one up and running....hard copy or e copy.....I'm happy any way it comes. BTW......I also love funky designs and well as the more traditional......I JUST LOVE CROCHET!!!!!!! :hook

Good luck :xfin and let me know if anyone hears anything on the grape vine

There have been a number of Aussie crochet mags over the years. Australian Crochet is one that comes to mind. I wonder if there is a need? I mean the Americans really have some fabulous ones. How would an AUstralian one be any better?

The cost of magazines is becoming prohibitive. I used to buy house and gardern for example, but once they hit the 6 dollar mark, I prefer to spend my money on actual patterns books and brochures that are specific to my interests.

Any other crochet goss I can here at the ville, and have learnt so much here from across the globe.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

The Australian knitting magazine I buy has just changed formats (mag is Creative Knitting $9.95) and is now repeating patterns from the UK mag I have been buying much longer! (Simply Knitting $12.95). I am not going to keep buying the Aussie one if they continue to reproduce what I purchased months before in another magazine. I know I should support the Aussie one first, but it's behind the 8ball and I wont be paying for "old" stuff. When I first looked at Creative Knitting it was a little too "boring", then it got really good, now it's copying. This is the trouble with many Aussie publications. They just can't seem to find their own footholds. Even gossip mag OK! has a "Best of the USA OK!" pullout in every issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I would certainly be interested in a quality produced Australian crochet magazine. I especially get frustrated with having to substitute yarns, so having a magazine (or even book of patterns) that featured patterns for yarns and threads commonly available in Australia (especially reasonably priced ones) I would be thrilled.

I have been eyeing "Yarn" magazine, as it includes some crochet, but I was not tremendously impressed with the amount of crochet content - I'd love a dedicated magazine.

I'd love to see more pattern books published in Oz as well - with Australian yarns and such in the patterns... I have recently seen some leaflets in Spotlight with crochet patterns, but it is tricky to pick them out from the overwhelming array of knitting patterns :)

Marika

I like the idea, I don't really make garments other than for DD2.5, but I think and online version to start would be great, I would definately buy one to have a look see

Archived