Hairpin Lace

Does anyone do hairpin lace? There is a pattern at Annies today for a hairpin lace afghan. I really like it.

This is a technique I wanted to try several years ago but never really got around to it. I think I'm ready to try. I found the tool on-line at JoAnns (about $15.00) but I was thinking that it might be just as easy to have my husband make the tool. :think Have any of you ever made one?

Sheryl

I made one using two old knitting needles and strips of sculpy eraser clay that I made wholes in. Worked out very well

What a great idea. Thanks. I have been looking all over for the tool but cant find it. I think this tequnique is so pretty but apparently not very popular.

Is that the one you can just use a knitting needle for, or is that broomstick lace?

One knitting needle is "broomstick" lace. I tried that and couldn't really get into it. It worked but I didn't like doing it so much.

I may just try to get my hubby to make one. He's got lots of scrap wood and I've got a few sets of knitting needles that I'll never use again.

Sheryl

I've been looking at this technique lately too. I found the loom on joann.com for 4.95, I don't think I can make one for that . . . . and I love adding to my craft stuff for the granddaughters. . .

I made a loom from an old wire coat hanger and tried the technique. It did work but the wire was a little too giving and would tend to bow in if I wasn't careful

The old looms did tend to be more U shaped and I think it was called a hairpin staple.

I just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I did originally make a loom with a hanger (I used a dremel to smooth out the ends) to see if I liked it. I did so I bought a loom, there's all sorts of sizes of looms. This technique is so easy and fast! I love it.

Here's a great site with a video tutorial, made it much easier to learn.

http://www.sykospark.net/hairpin/

I just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I did originally make a loom with a hanger (I used a dremel to smooth out the ends) to see if I liked it. I did so I bought a loom, there's all sorts of sizes of looms. This technique is so easy and fast! I love it.

Here's a great site with a video tutorial, made it much easier to learn.

http://www.sykospark.net/hairpin/

Thanks. I have not seen this tutorial yet. I will bookmark it for later.

Thank you everybody for your input. I am drafting my hubby for this project this weekend.

Sheryl

Archived