Frogging old afghans

I have 2 local thrift shops that have quite a few old (but nice) afghans that you can pick up pretty cheaply.

Are these easy to frog to recycle the yarn? I know it depends on what pattern, like a granny square one wouldn't be worth the time. But if it is all one color or large/thick stripes....would that be easy to frog?

Have you done this? What is your opinion?

I have a ball winder so it would be easy making balls up.

I make dog/cat animal shelter snuggle beds and I'm always looking for free or super cheap yarn to make them with.

I would say it would be well worth it, especially if you have a winder, that will make it so much easier. I know of a lady who frogged an old afghan and made sweaters for children for Guideposts Sweaters for Kids Program.

I tried frogging old placemats, but they were made with two strands of two different yarns and it was too hard so I gave up. It was torture!

But one strand would work beautifully, IMO!

I say go for it.....or if the blankets are cheap, buy them and donate them to a charity. The blankets are already made and I'm sure there are people who would love to receive an afghan.

Good luck!

i went to my thrift shop today and found an afghan that was all one yarn. no stripes. i was going to get it but it belonged to a cat owner. it had a faint cat smell and fur on it. so i didn't get it. my hubby is very allergic to cats.

it was a nice size too and at $4! there must have been at least 8-10 skeins in that blanket. oh well. maybe next time.

:eek Gasp

I would never take apart someones hard work, isn't it so sad it ended up at a thrift store. I see them all the time at a local baby consignment store, and next time I go I plan on buying the lot and finding a home for them with a charity or friends.

:eek Gasp

I would never take apart someones hard work, isn't it so sad it ended up at a thrift store. I see them all the time at a local baby consignment store, and next time I go I plan on buying the lot and finding a home for them with a charity or friends.

i agree with you, but....i don't have enough money to be buying them and giving them to another charity. my charity of choice is animal shelters and they only want smaller sizes. so to make the best of the situation, i'd rather recycle that yarn from that afghan and make beds for poor puppies.

when I frog an afghan sweater or whatever, I wash it first and dry in dryer, this way I know whether or not its worth the effort. If it hasn't fallen apart, or shrunk I take it apart and wind each ball to any break in the yarn. do not assume it is all one type of yarn...I made this mistake and ended up with a very distinct colour difference. I find knitted work comes apart much easier. It does seem that frogging works best when you work from the back of the item. Personally I don't think the pets care if the yarn is used or new ...... thank you for caring enough about the pets to make a difference in their lives!!!!!!

I have done it once, I bought a small cotton baby afghan and frogged it to make stuff for a friend of mine for her baby shower.

Archived