Sleeve Phobia....Please help!

I have been crocheting for about 6 months and love making wearables. I recently realized I have a phobia about making sleeves and was wondering if anyone else has the same 'condition'? :blush

I have lots of patterns for items with sleeves and have even bought the yarn but have yet to complete any of them....I have even gone so far as to frog an item when I get to the sleeve part of the pattern! :eek

Does anyone else suffer from a sleeve phobia? Can it be cured? :think

Kim

I had the same thing. Which is probably why all my wearables are make with a square joke and raglan *sp?* sleeves. I just work them right on to the piece. Not as fancy as some of the other types of put together tops and sweaters but it serves it's purpose for me!

Does anyone else suffer from a sleeve phobia? Can it be cured? :think

:lol I would suggest that you choose a small children's outfit to make for charity purposes. That way you won't be so stressed about it. I'm not saying that items for charity shouldn't be done well...I'm just saying that you won't be giving it to your niece or something! Once you do one top with sleeves, I'll bet you won't be so afraid of it.

Eleanor Roosevelt said: "You must do the things you think you cannot do." and "Do one thing every day that scares you."

Remember - trying new things is how we grow.... I have to remind myself of that from time to time! ;)

My first sleeves were with "rectangle" sweaters...or 4 pieces. where the sides of the front/back and the tops of the sleeves are flat, and easy to sew together. I still do that, fairly often, having made my kiddos sweaters...and that's about the fastest way.

I've made one with more "shaping" and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and now I'm working on my own with some shaping at the top. If you pin the corners (the "armpit ends") and the centers together...and more if you need, then sewing the pieces together is much easier. Believe me it's MUCH easier than sewing in sleeves on fabric...sewing garments still scares me! :lol (and yet I still love fabric, and even have some that needs a seamstress...any volunteers? :) )

I'd say, try a basic "Square" sleeve, and when that turns out, you'll feel much better. (Most patterns are really good about the amount of give a sweater sleeve needs to be able to put it on. They shouldn't come out tight.) And if you have any kiddos in your life, smaller garments do work up faster, making them easier for practising on.

Hope all this helps.

:hug :hug and encouragement to you :)

I have that "make 2" anxiety and maybe that is what you're describing...do you fear that the 2 won't look alike, OR, have you started the 2nd and it DOESN't look alike? Some of the suggestions here were to make the 2 at the same time if possible, each round or row alike, so you eliminate the surprise factor...you know what you're doing is exact cuz you're doing it simultaneously. Go for it. You can always fix your mistakes. Hugs, Donna C

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! :hug I would have never thought of making the sleeves first and making both of them at the same time so they would come out the same...And I hadn't even considered making a children's item with sleeves to give it a try.:blush The pattern I'm thinking of trying has raglan type sleeves so it sounds like I'm on the right track in trying something that's easier to do.:yes But first I'm going to find a pattern for my niece to try out those little sleeves. :hook

I really appreciate all the help! :manyheart

Kim

Try this pattern - the sleeves are worked into the pattern - no seams - I made this for my 16 year old grand daughter for Christmas last year (2 actually) and they have not come off her body for the entire year - she loves them - It goes fast and once you have done one item with sleeves - they lose some of their intimidation factor . . .

http://www.hometown.aol.com/tepperleen/page6.html

Archived