crochet hook questions

Guest Pufflet

Guest Pufflet

I have a chart for a poncho I am thinking of starting, it ask for a P-15 {10mm} hook. :shrug I have gone to look at conversion charts, but it appears that a 10mmm :eek2 hook is very small????

All my hooks are AERO size 5, 4.5, 6 etc. Does anyone have an idea what size I should be using?

Another question, chart ask for Lion Brand Incredible, can I use a sports weigh (red heart) ?? :(

:ty

A p is a big hook that's all I know, ginormous big I'm not really sure what your asking.I usually would use a p for 2 strands of worsted weight or like fabric crocheting. Also that incredibe isn't as thin as sport :no Isn't it like a ribbon yarn? So it's kinda wide.

I just went and looked at the Lionbrand site it say's to use a p hook for the incredible.

The LB Incredible is a ribbon yarn, you'd have to use a P hook for something like that. Switching to a sport weight (which would be MUCH thinner than the ribbon yarn) will cause some adjustments to be made to the pattern.

The P hook is a rather large hook, I'm not sure which chart you are looking at that shows it as a smaller hook. Generally speaking, you can use 2 strands of WW yarn with a P hook, comfortably. Sport weight yarn would probably call for a G or H hook (4.0 to 5.0mm, depending on brand).

p is a fairly big hook. think - as big around as a pinky finger. Boye only makes them in plastic, the only color i have seen them make it in is grey (not sure about bates).

Be careful with the different hook makers... for some reason, not all hooks are created equal. I have found MAJOR variations in the size of P hooks between makers. Astounding, really.

The Bates P hook is actually 11.5 mm, while the Bates N hook is 10 mm. The Crystallites (also by Bates) are the same. The gray P hook that was referred to above (Wrights, I think?) is much smaller than the Bates... small enough that I would consider it an N instead of a P.

Why there is not standardization is beyond me. I think they should just dump the letter system and stick with mm if there is going to be that much of a discrepancy between makers.

You're right about the discrepancies...especially between the top 2...Boye and Bates. It seems that they both agree on size H and then it goes haywire!

The Craft Yarn Council would like to see standardized sizing-see here: www.yarnstandards.com/hooks.html

and whenever in doubt use the MM size given in the pattern directions (which the CYC would like to standardize also with manufacturers).

Note: even on this chart a N/P and P/Q can't be agreed on for size.

There's a large jump as per MM's from a K(6.5mm) to an L(8mm) which starts the larger rag/rug hooks; M=9mm; N=10mm (and since your pattern is calling for this MM, this is what I would use). The P is questionable...hubby makes his a 11.5mm and then jumps to a Q=16mm and S=19mm.

It's a large jump from a P to a Q.

Suffice it to say you are safe using the MM size requested.

Hope this helps... :)

Archived