Prayer Shawl Ministry

pretty_bug01

Hey Guys,

I have a special request from all of you. I have just started a prayer shawl ministry at my church. There are probably 1,000 church members that me and my group will be making these items for. The problem with this is that I have only 5 members: 2 knitters and 3 crocheters at this point. I just need some help getting started with a back up store. I would appreciate anything that you could give to me. Knitting needles, hooks, measuring tapes, yarn needles, yarn supplies. I am also asking for help with making the items. I would very much appreciate it if some of you could possibly make a shawl or lapghan to donate to this wonderful cause. Since it just started last month, we only have two items made up. I wanted to start giving out to the people in the church by January 1st. Thanks guys and gals!

I read about prayer shawls first on a Swap-bot swap. The concept sounded lovely but I ended up confused about what they should be made of/sizes etc. Some people were even using lengths of fleece with edging. I would be interested in knowing what the specifications for these are too incrochet!

http://www.shawlministry.com

Stillwjo,

There is a prayer shawl ministry web page. It describes the process. There's a little more to it than just plunking down in front of the TV with hook and yarn. Most people are flexible about the patterns and yarn.

Pretty_bugo1, is this how you are doing it?

If there is a pattern you are just dying to try but haven't gotten around to, then this is the perfect excuse for you to use it. Other than that, just start out with a ch 2, in the 1st ch, 3 dc. Then on each subsequent row increase on both ends. A good width is from wrist to wrist. It should take about 2 skeins of super saver, you wont use all of it, but it goes into the second skein. It doesn't take much focus. You can use whatever kind of yarn you would like, it's very flexible.

What I've found that works is to have your priest/preacher make an announcement during the sermon and let people know what's going on and that they can help by donating instead of doing.

Lots of people want to help out but insist they don't have the time to do the work themselves.

Right now I think I'm the only one working at the PSM at church. (At least it feels like it) I know other people have asked questions and told me they've started making stuff but I'm the only one that's actually done anything so far.

That's OK because I do my best and God knows that.

You're so forturenate to have 5 people to work with. Good luck with your ministry and may it be Blessed!

The Prayer Shawl group that I started at my church is up and running. We have had 2 meetings so far and this past weekend our "works" were prayed over and blessed. I can't begin to tell you the emotion I felt watching all of this take place! And I've already have 2 people approach me about joining! What excitement to watch this ministry grow!

Archived