Your FAVORITE book for knitting? If you could only have one, which would it be?

boo1

I think I'd go with a "how to" "stitch guide" combo rather than a pattern booklet cuz the information and reference is invaluable. As much as I think I know about knitting, I'm always referring back to, for instance, the many varied ways to increase/decrease. I mentioned in a different post about books that I was given Vogue Knitting as a gift...it really is a great reference book...so that's my answer and I'm sticking to it. lol

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting. The same great illustrations of stitches, plus the back is full of color photos pf different stitches. The patterns are okay, but the rest is so great and useful I overlook that. I've taken it out of the library countless times and it's on my Christmas list. Patty

Wow, that is a tough question :( - I agree with the statement that no one book has it all. I refer to Elizabeth Zimmerman's books a lot - "Knitting Without Tears" and "Knitting Around". Also, Maggie Righetti's "Knitting in Plain English" and "Sweater Design in Plain English", as well as all of Sally Melville's books. I love Donna Kooler's crochet book but haven't read her knitting book....will have to check that one out! :)

I guess if I had to choose only one for myself right now, though, it would be one of Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Stitches books, since they have so many wonderful stitch patterns and I could reference it for variety in any type of project. :yes

The Knitting Answer Book

Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Knit & Stitch for Beginners-Wendy Freeman

Baby Knits for Beginners-Debbie Bliss

Knitting on the Edge-Nicky Epstein

24 Hour Knitting Projects-Rita Weiss

Knits from the Heart-Kristin Spurkland

Knit Ponchos, Wraps, and Scarves-Jane Davis

I thought that pile was enough-didn't want to be too greedy! :blush

Knitting for Dummies. I've only been learning to knit so I can make cabled items but never got the hang of making them until I picked up this book. It comes with great hints, a few simple starter patterns and suggestions on how to vary the patterns with the stitches you learn.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Knitting for Dummies. I've only been learning to knit so I can make cabled items but never got the hang of making them until I picked up this book. It comes with great hints, a few simple starter patterns and suggestions on how to vary the patterns with the stitches you learn.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Proud to be a dummy (well, at least accepting of the fact!) ,:think

Laura

Checked out:

Knitting for Dummies (yay, but I wish it had more pics)

Fabulous Felted Hand Knits

The Knitting Stitch Bible

and one more, I think it was Yarn Shop Favorites or something like that.

:cheer

I got Knitting for Dummies too and Stitch and Bitch. Plus a book about making and selling knitted items. I thought about getting a pattern book, but not sure if I really want to check out a pattern book just yet anyway.

Archived