Some ebay common sense, folks

PoetryinYarn

BEFORE you bid for a pattern on ebay, try to call the publisher and see if they still print it. Annie's Attic sells a pattern for sunbonnet girl fridgies for about $8. I've lost two ebay auctions for it. The funny thing is that whoever won the first time payed $25!!!!!!!! The second time I saw it, it went for $12. Maybe I should buy several just to sell on ebay.:P

Yup...and you have to remember...items on Ebay are like a bus...if you miss this one, you'll probably catch the next. You can find books/patterns cheaper at lots of other places online if you take the time to look.

It would also be a good idea to just start a thread here at Crochetville for what you are looking for.

I have several boxes of crochet patterns & magazines that need new homes... Lots of members here look to see if someone is looking for something that he/she has.

It would also be a good idea to just start a thread here at Crochetville for what you are looking for.

I have several boxes of crochet patterns & magazines that need new homes... Lots of members here look to see if someone is looking for something that he/she has.

you should post them under swaps!

Also there was a post here about someone on ebay that said something like "50 crochet patterns" but did not give the name of the book. They e-mailed the seller who would not tell them. They asked here and someone told them. It was the same or cheaper on Amazon and still available as new.

• 5 weeks later...

Before I bid on a pattern book on Ebay I ALWAYS check www.half.com to see if they have the book in stock. There have been books on Ebay selling for $18 and UP that are available on half.com for $.75 - $1.75!!! Yes, you CAN get some fabulous deals on Ebay, but for the most part it has become just a convenience kind of place to shop. They will probably have what you are looking for, but unless you get really lucky, you're going to pay at LEAST an average price for it, and when you factor in shipping, you're going to pay considerably MORE than you would at a store.

If you are into scrap afghans, amigurumi or smaller items, you can make out like a bandit buying lot sales of yarn. Many times I have scored 80 skeins and more for under $20, and even with shipping the cost was so low that it would have been silly to let it pass. But if they're offering three skeins of RHSS for $9, and the shipping is ANOTHER $9 or $10, you're getting taken for a serious ride! My general rule of thumb for buying yarn on Ebay is that if the cost of the yarn and shipping combined, then divided by the number of skeins involved, equals out to each skein costing less than it would in a store, I go for it. Otherwise, unless it's something rare and difficult to find, who needs it?

Elle

you should always know, what you are looking at and stick to a price. I sell on ebay, and people will spend alot of money on silly stuff (good for me!) but when I buy I know the value and stick to it. if it sells for more it wasn't meant for me anyway!

Archived