Lining a felted tote

purlwise

I would like a line a tote I'm making that will be felted. I don't know how to line something much less after it is felted where I can't really measure the pieces. Any suggestions? I'm not much of a sewer, but I do have a brand new (2 year old) sewing machine I've never used. I would like to, but my Mom will need to come down from PA to thread it for me! :P

The simplest liners are the best for me! If it's a "flat" rectangle bag, simply cut one rectangle of fabric to the same width of your felted bag, but twice as long, plus an inch or so for a top hem. Sew the sides up, fold the top edge down (it hides, so you don't even have to roll it, or make a perfect hem) and straight stitch around it. Then hand tack it into your bag. (or machine st it if you're daring...the risk being that the thickness of the felt could be too much for your machine.

If it's a flat bottom bag, it's a bit more complex. cut one piece for each part of the bag and sew them together--is the over simplistic explanation. Place your bag on the fabric and trace for a bottom piece. (sewing together will make the liner slightly smaller and it will fit fine) measure the height of your bag, and use the bottom piece for width, cut two end pieces and two side pieces. Sew all 4 to the bottom piece, and sew the sides together. fold tthe top down for a hem, and hand tack/stitch it into your finished, felted tote

(of course, if you have large fabric pieces, and aren't worried about "waste" you could omit the bottom seams by simple measuring the needed height and drawing/tracing the side/end pieces right off the bottom (so it'd look like a really fat, and maybe not square, "+")

Hope this helps a bit.

Did I mention...do this AFTER you felt your bag? :rofl

I do the same as Momcrochets. However, if the flat bottom of the bag is not too wide, I fold the lining fabric (cut to be approx. 2" larger than the felted bag) in half, and sew up the side seams. I then press the seams open, press the top hem down about an inch. I then machine sew a triangle across the bottom of the lining, which provides for the depth of the bag. I hand sew the lining into the bag. If the bag has a flat bottom, I cut a piece of plastic canvas to fit the width of the bottom of the bag. I tack that into the bag before I put the lining in. It provides a little more shape to the bag so the bottom won't sag.

Good luck... doing linings is my least favorite part of the project.

Joan

If the felted bag is sturdy enough I don't think you will need the plastic canvas but it is always a really nice touch. Just give that little bit of extra stability!

Don't get too scared when it comes to lining. I think that keeping it as simple as possible is the key when you are not a seamstress. I am with the other two wonderful people who suggested doing a long rectangle and sewing up the side seams (and making the base square by sewing a triangle if you want) then hand stitching it into the bag.

I like to use an invisible stitch when I stitch it to the bag. It makes it look that much cleaner and very well finished.

Another thought...if you haven't added the handles to the bag yet you could always stitch them directly to the lining before you sew it to the bag...just a thought.

I hope that you find all the help you are looking for!

Remember, the lining is really going to make your bag stand out and look remarkable. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived