Who's got the button?

Those who follow my doll clothes crochet know that I love my buttons. I think the buttons make the crochet clothing in many cases.

I just got two of the "Bag o' Buttons" today and I have really hit the jackpot with the selection here. For those who make doll clothes or do other things that use decorative buttons, I would recommend that you head out and see what is being offered near you.

Some of these buttons are inspiring me already for new outfits and ideas. I mean, really, how can one crochet without buttons? :think

:wlol:wlol

I have a 10-gallon tupperware container full of buttons. They've come from thrift stores, from eBay, from fabric stores, etc. Denver Fabric has a huge fish tank full of buttons and I think they charge something like $1 an ounce for whatever you dig out. Darski, you'd love it!

Right now I'm using buttons for primitive stuffed teddybear joints.

Our local Walmart is now carrying some cute buttons, but the larger ones I'd be tempted to use on purses are sold "per button." That makes it kind of expensive. The smaller ones are on cards with a few per card though, so they are pretty affordable. There's a lot of colors too.

Real Deal

I love my buttons too..

I have raided some of my Nan's old picture buttons and different shaped ones as she can't knit or crochet anymore. I have been sewing together some of her knit-a-square toys that she did before she had the latest stroke so that she has some on hand as new great grandkids are born (one due in October and the next in March). For this she let me raid her stash and then give the rest to Mum.

I also like to look at the Op-shops - you never know what you may find.

I have even had friends give me their old clothes that are too tatty for the op-shop just because they have pretty buttons that they thought that I would like.

Dianne

Love them Buttons, especially the older ones, Big, Glitzy, Made of everything and not just plastic. Shaped and detailed. Use them on purses mostly, but also on doll and baby clothes. And of course in scrapbooks and homemade cards. There's even a new tool out for cutting the shanks off of shank buttons so they can be glued into scrapbooks, :eek, that is something I won't do, shank buttons are the best for stuffed animals and purses.

My best finds have been at flea markets.

Archived