First timer...

LittleJadeFrog

I do not use thread. I don't use anything other than ww and I am a beginner at reading charts. So I am really going to have a time with this. I am going to do all of my xmas presents this year. My mom has asked me to do a table runner. It is very intricate. It is a chart pattern and is made with 20 thread. Is there a website...tutorial...something that might get me comfortable with crocheting with thread? I am a quick learner. I really want to make this for my mom and I want it to look good. TIA!

Starting with sizze 20 (instead of size 10) seems a bit demanding, but you could do it. Just get some thread and a small hook (about a size 10 hook for size 20 thread, or size 7 for size 10 thread) and start practicing. If the pattern is made in motifs, perhaps you could use size 10 thread and make fewer motifs? If not...good luck on the size 20. It's doable. Where did you find the charted pattern? Most magazines with charts have instructions about reading them.

I totally agree with Krakovianka's suggestion to try size 7 or even 6 hook and size 10 thread. Size 20 sounds ruff for a first time. But, persistence of course can win out. As for the pattern, the people here will help with questions, and give encouragement. I am anxious to see your effort. Keep us posted.

My mom copied the pattern from one of her books Favorite Throws & Table Toppers to Crochet (Rose Runner pattern), handed it to me and said "This is what I want you to make me for xmas." Since I asked her what she wanted I guess it would be my fault she told me :D I was expecting something more along the lines of an ami or 2... Anyway I am going to attempt it. I got the 20 thread 1.0mm/11 needle (and a 1.5mm just in case ;) ) I am going to sit down tonight and see. I have all night and some of tomorrow to decide if I can do it!

No, its not a motif. You have to crochet one half flip it over then crochet the other half. It looks like it will be beautiful (If I can do it)

Thank you for your encouragement! :hook

Crocheting with thread uses the same stitches as any other crochet, the main difference is getting used to how it feels. But that is true any time you switch to larger/smaller hooks or yarns. Just to get the feel for it, why don't you make a small project in #10 thread? You could make a coaster, snowflake, small doily or whatever. Then you can "move down" a notch to #20 thread a little more easily. (Just a thought, if you have the time!)

Reading charts is SO MUCH EASIER than reading a complicated pattern. I can't tell you how many patterns I have passed up because they weren't charted. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it. You can see at a glance what you are going to do on each round/row. After you've gotten used to it, it is so frustrating to have to plod through lengthy, complicated instructions when a picture really is worth 1000 words!

Once you know the symbols (most charted patterns have a symbol key) the rest is easy. Usually any unusual stitches, clusters, motifs, techniques or whatnot also have a written explanation or a closeup chart as well.

Good luck with your project!

You know, I'm pretty much a newbie too, and, like you, I am a quick learner, so when my mom bought me a bunch of thread, I was scared to try it, but after I did I was surprised at how easy it was. And when I did that other project (beaded crochet book mark...fist thing I've done in a LONG time) I had forgotten how easy it was. I actually found it easier than ww yarn (I know...wierd). I don't know what size thread I have, but I'm assuming it's 10 because 20 seems to be more delicate.

Anyway, good luck! If you're anything like me, I know you can do it if you set your mind to it :0)

~~Cheri~~

I tried...I really did...I was wondering if she would mind if I did do it in 10...maybe even 3 (which I have worked with). Problem is the tension...and the chain is way too loose (I never even finished the first row) and it curls...It was a mess! I think it might be eaiser to do it in the round!

Archived