"Fast" Afghan

stillwjo

Question

What's the fastest afghan to make? Is it with granny squares or something else? Does anyone have a pattern to share that could be done relatively quickly?

Maybe granny squares that can be made quickly. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly but I want to see results in a hurry.

thanks

Hold three or four worsted weight yarns together and use a "Q" hook. If you work it longways (chain the length of the piece rather than the width) you can change the colors or color combos every few rows to get an hombre or graded effect. The the spacing of the rows to place your fringe, and youre' done!

About 12 years ago, I did one for a friend in which I used dark, medium, and light shades of rose to make an all-dc afghan with graded stripes:

4 strands dk rose, 3 dark rose + 1 med, 2 dk rose +2 med, 1 dark + 3 med, 4 med, 3 med + 1 light, 2 med + 2 light, 1 med + 3 light, 4 light, and back again. The fringe at the end of each section had the matching proprtions of colored strands.

I have also made one giant granny square with worsted weight and an H or J hook, and changed the color(s) every few rounds.

I just hate making motifs or strips and joining them.

Debbi-a1,

I made the 5 1/2 hour throw off the Lion Brand site you suggested. Since it was my first large afghan and first thing using multiple strands and since I'm not very fast yet, it took a little over 5 hours but I did get it finished in a weekend.

Here's a pic of it folded. I used blue, green and white. I'm making another using KC Chiefs colors, red, yellow white.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/stillwjo/bgwfolded.jpg

It used around 7 - 7oz skeins of yarn so it's a fairly heavy afghan. My kids were amazed at how warm it is even though there are big holes in it. That's one Christmas present ready to go (for my dad for the 3 nights of winter they have in FL).

Thanks a lot for the help.

John S

5 hours, wow. That is fast. Glad you liked the pattern. Thanks for sharing your results.

I was thinking that I did one, not quiet as fast, maybe because it didn't have holes. I did 2 strands, one verigated, one solid. Double crochet. Probably an N hook (it's alumnimum and I crochet loose) and it took me about a week to make (had to for Christmas too). I did that a few years ago.

Debbi

Sorry. I meant to say it took me longer than the 5 1/2 hours.... I just finished my second one and I kept track of time on this one, 8 hours. It's a little bigger than the plan though. I didn't think I'd like using the Q hook and 3 strands but it actually went really well.

John S

Sounds like you found a good one! I am using two strands and a P hook to make one right now. I end up only working on it between other projects. I am using lionbrands four and a half hour afghan. I just added more to my beginning chain to make it wider. Still working on it, after several weeks of it sitting there. But now that I don't have anything else to make, just maybe, I can get it done. Unless of course something else comes up. :lol

I printed the plan for the 4 1/2 hour afghan last night. I think I'll try it next. I like fast and I like the idea of less yarn. However, does it really save yarn to just use 2 strands instead of 3 or do you have to make more stitches to get the same size, thus using the same amount regardless? I noticed my 2nd 5 1/2 hr afghan used less yarn because I tried to stitch more loosely since my first one was a little small. I'm not so good with guages yet.

John S

Archived