"Fast" Afghan

stillwjo

Question

What's the fastest afghan to make? Is it with granny squares or something else? Does anyone have a pattern to share that could be done relatively quickly?

Maybe granny squares that can be made quickly. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly but I want to see results in a hurry.

thanks

Sounds like you need a copy of the Crochet Stitch Bible. It's an awesome reference book, small enough to take with you with great pics, clear directions and a spiral spine.

http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Stitch-Bible-Betty-Barnden/dp/0873497171/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292801363&sr=8-1

It's worth every penny. Some people prefer the Encyclopedia of Crochet but it's big book to tote around with you.

Believe it or not I crochet much faster with 2 strands and an N hook than I do with 3-4 strands and a Q hook.

You could also check out the flannelghan.

Remember - anything that you do with a shaded look will have a lot of ends to weave in.

When I need a ghan fast I'll usually do a round ripple with 2 strands and an N hook.

Just my own opinions - I think a P hook is too big of a hook for 2 strands. Perhaps the poster crochets really tight. I just find that using a hook that's too big causes ghans to snag.

I am so glad you asked that question. A friend bought the yarn for me to make her a large afghan, and i wondered if making a HUGE granny square would be faster or if there were another pattern, she bought BABY BEE from hobby lobby.

Its a sock yarn, and she bought 12 skeins of it and wondering if one pattern will work up larger than another? i have manged to use a J hook on it, and worked up a large granny, but before i go too much further wondering if maybe another style would work up larger?

Unless you're using 2 strands of the Baby Bee I think you'll end up regretting using a J hook with it.

The yarn calls for a G. Using a hook that much bigger isn't going to be worth it in the finished product.

I think it looks good and it feels good, its still got enough weight that it warms the part of my legs it sits on, and the holes are small enough that it doesnt look bad. i crochet extremely tight, so i usually go up a 2 hook sizes or more. I am happy with the way its turning out, i just dont know if there is another pattern that would yield a larger blanket using the yarn i have, or if the granny eats a lot of yarn.

post-37538-13589760738_thumb.jpg

How do your hands NOT kill you?!?!?!?!?

The ghan looks great but you are crocheting soooooooo tight that my hands are aching in sympathy for you. Most people would not be able to pull off using a J hook with sock yarn.

The granny uses a little bit more yarn. If you do a regular dc square the same size as a granny square - the granny will be a little bit heavier. On the other hand - the granny tends to go faster due to the nature of working in the big holes. I worked on the black section of my hubby's black and white granny ghan watching tv in the dark at my Mom's house - she couldn't believe it.

A vst instead of a granny would use much less yarn.

How do your hands NOT kill you?!?!?!?!?

The ghan looks great but you are crocheting soooooooo tight that my hands are aching in sympathy for you. Most people would not be able to pull off using a J hook with sock yarn.

The granny uses a little bit more yarn. If you do a regular dc square the same size as a granny square - the granny will be a little bit heavier. On the other hand - the granny tends to go faster due to the nature of working in the big holes. I worked on the black section of my hubby's black and white granny ghan watching tv in the dark at my Mom's house - she couldn't believe it.

A vst instead of a granny would use much less yarn.

LMBO i dont know, they dont bother me, i have tried to loosen up over the years but alas.......so i just go with it :lol i like to pretend its a special talen LMBO!!!!

OHHHH yeah i forgot about the V stitch i love the look of that too!!! i always forget with so many stitches out there! Thank you!

Aggie May, did you use a fun fur or similar on the top afghan with the yellow, blue and lt green? It really is a pretty afghan and the texture is interesting. I really like it.

Thanks, debbie

uwcheese

Sounds like you need a copy of the Crochet Stitch Bible. It's an awesome reference book, small enough to take with you with great pics, clear directions and a spiral spine.

http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Stitch-Bible-Betty-Barnden/dp/0873497171/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292801363&sr=8-1

It's worth every penny. Some people prefer the Encyclopedia of Crochet but it's big book to tote around with you.

I can highly recommend this book too. I bought it about 6 months ago and used to keep it with my other crochet books. Now I leave it out all the time as I am always referring to it.;)

WELL i got that FAR on my blanket and i pulled it all out! i did not like the way the granny square was looking, SO i then went with the V-stitch and i am loving it, i think it was Rose that suggested intertwining the yarns and i love it NOW. I swear though i will NEVER EVER let the person pick the yarn again for a blanket! I HATE THIS BLANKET NOW no love left HA HA HA

I wish someone would make a video tutorial for this 5 1/2 hour tutorial because I cant read patterns worth a darn. I am better at watching a video and following along :-(

It's just a simple v-stitch with a large hook, holding three strands of yarn together.

Gotta love Beth in Texas. I didn't know this is what that is. I'm going to try it next week and see how I make out.

If I'm following your posts right, you're doing the Lion Brand 5 1/2 hour blanket , right?  That calls for a Q hook, which is nearly twice the diameter of the N hook (depending on brands, more or less 16 mm versus 9 mm).  Since your piece is half as wide as it should be, that sounds about right.  Also look at the pattern pic, it is lacy while yours is more solid.

It all depends on how fast you work.

Grannies are fast however it's joining that slows people down. If you do join as you go that might help.

Almost anything using a larger hook goes faster.

There's the Five and Half hour afghan done with a Q hook and three strands held together:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjif-5.html

:)

Multi strands and large hooks make for fast ghans. I've just taken two or three strands of different colors and changed one at random to make different color combinations and done my favorite stitch by chaining till I get the width I wanted, then working HDC across each row. It's amazing how fast your favorite stitch will go. You can do sc or dc if you like them best.

:cheer I would say that anything that does not have a lot of colour changes would be the quickest.

Single strand is quicker for me because I find that thick yarn and large hooks make my hands sore.

My personal favourite for speed is the Round Ripple or just a straight Ripple if that is not a contradiction in terms.

th_100_0243.jpg

th_TradeMe281.jpg

Two variations of the same pattern.

th_RoundRipplestar.jpg

The beauty of these patterns is, you can work over the tails as you change colours so there is very little finishing off when you are done.

That is the thing that puts me off small squares now, all those ends need attention when you are finished.

The last Baby Round Ripple I made took me only one day to complete and I did it in 4 rounds of blue and one of white to help the ripple effect stand out.

I did it for a lady, who lives in the same Rest home as my mum, for her very first Great Grandchild. She was absolutely thrilled with it.

Hope this helps.

Please ask if you would like either pattern because I have simple versions of both.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:cheer I would say that anything that does not have a lot of colour changes would be the quickest.

Single strand is quicker for me because I find that thick yarn and large hooks make my hands sore.

My personal favourite for speed is the Round Ripple or just a straight Ripple if that is not a contradiction in terms.

th_100_0243.jpg

th_TradeMe281.jpg

Two variations of the same pattern.

th_RoundRipplestar.jpg

The beauty of these patterns is, you can work over the tails as you change colours so there is very little finishing off when you are done.

That is the thing that puts me off small squares now, all those ends need attention when you are finished.

The last Baby Round Ripple I made took me only one day to complete and I did it in 4 rounds of blue and one of white to help the ripple effect stand out.

I did it for a lady, who lives in the same Rest home as my mum, for her very first Great Grandchild. She was absolutely thrilled with it.

Hope this helps.

Please ask if you would like either pattern because I have simple versions of both.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I'd like the pattern to the star shaped one. It looks fairly simple to make but would wow anyone I would make it for.

thanks a lot!

John S

Archived