National (international?) Crochet Day - September 12

Okay, fellow hookers, at the urging of hook whittler extrordinaire Jimbo it is time to get the (yarn) ball rolling and get September 12 proclaimed as the Official Crochet Day! Granted, there's not a lot of time to write your senators and representatives, get petitions signed, hire sky-writers, and start a full media campaign, but NOW is a great time to start, and by next year we are sure to have this as possibly a PAID HOLIDAY! Woot-woot!:yay

To fully get the message out one mustn't stay at home and crochet - who would know you're crocheting besides your family, and they probably know already! so take your crochet in public! Go to work and sit and crochet all day in honor of this wonderful textile art form! Crochet in your car on your way to work (very do-able if you're driving in L.A. traffic) Sit in the library and crochet! Sit in the grocery store and crochet. Sit in a book store and crochet in the craft section! So many possibilities!

Go to your local craft shops such as Michael's and Joann's and see if they have a crochet group or stitch n' bitch type thing and get the word out to them! Buy air time on your local cable channel

We've got some pretty famous people (celebrity crocheters) on this site - maybe they can poke some of their connections at DIY or in the crochet magazines and GET THE WORD OUT!

We can do this, People! It will start out small this year, but who knows? by next year... like I said, PAID HOLIDAY!:devil

Me, and my tiny group are going to meeting at a book store, taking our crochet with us! We will be gathering items to donate to our local children's hospital. It's only a group of eight, and I haven't met half of them in person yet. But I am hoping that I will be able to meet them on the 12th! Every time we meet at Barnes & Nobble we meet one more person to join our group! I think it's great to get it out in public.

My boss says I already get paid holidays for crocheting since the only time I have a lot of work to do in the office is the first and last weeks of the months when people come to pay rents. Maybe I can convince her to let me not work that day :devil

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

i will be crocheting at work on that day. i have finished with my trainee. she is now a 911 calltaker and did very well i might add. so i am going to start taking the hooks and yarn to work again tonight. This will get me warmed up and ready to show the world my best. Now for this to work all the bad guys in my town have to behave so i dont have to take any phone calls about people who need police to come and help....

Ah... we got Funky on the job.. The holiday's a sure thing now!!

Hay! Maybe we should be going for an Intergallactic Crochet Day!!

Archived