Half Moon Shawl along

ickaboo

Maggie and Kim - - What was the problem with the pattern that you both had to frog the first few rows??? Did it not make sense???

I am going to the LYS tomorrow....can't wait. I love projects that work up fast.

I honestly don't know if the problem was with the pattern or with me, but I think it had something to do with the chain 3....I can't remember now but it came out ok after the third try.:clap

Kim

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is a beautiful version with the crochet thread. This pattern seems to look lovely no matter what yarn is used. I only have a row and a half left on mine. I am going to finish today and post pics. :)

After seeing everyone's pics and looking at the pattern pic, my second attempt is still coming out small in size. I'm using an N hook and Lion Brand Wool Ease WW. I'm going to finish it the way it is and donate it. I really want to make one for myself. I guess I am a tight crocheter or is anyone else coming up with this too? Maybe I need to go to a P or Q hook? Any suggestions?:think

Maggie, hope your back feels better soon!:hug

Thanks everybody!

Kim

I bought some beautiful yarn at Michael's today - Paton's Shetland Chunky in Dark Leaf Green...it is 70 % Acrylic and 30% Wool so it was affordable and should work up nicely....

Will let you know as soon as I am on my way with a few rows.:cheer

Will post pics tomorrow - I need to find a solid background of some sort, because from across the room, mine looks like confetti! LOL

My 7 year old daughter wants mine - no, she does not want me to make her one - she actually wants me to give her mine...

Like that's gonna happen......:no

I love the versatility of this pattern - can't wait to see even more pics...

I love this pattern! After making it in the traditional method/yarn, and knowing it would be w-a-a-a-y-y-y-yyy TOO warm for me to wear, I thought I would try something different. I made this one using 2 strands of size 10 thread, and the required N hook. It came out very light and lacey, I love it! It's definately different!

Wow--that is just lovely.

Well, I just have the finishing to do and its done! It really does work up super-duper quick! Mine seems kind of short though, compared to the picture on LB's website. I used the N hook and a bulky yarn, as called for in the pattern... I debated on doing another repeat of the pattern, but I think I'll just finish this one, and maybe play around more with my next one.

Well, I just have the finishing to do and its done! It really does work up super-duper quick! Mine seems kind of short though, compared to the picture on LB's website. I used the N hook and a bulky yarn, as called for in the pattern... I debated on doing another repeat of the pattern, but I think I'll just finish this one, and maybe play around more with my next one.

That's exactly what happened with mine....I used the N hook and WW wool and it's coming out short. I only have 3 more rows to go and I'll be done.

Any suggestions from anyone who's shawl came out longer?

Kim

Your yarn is lighter than what the pattern calls for - worsted weight vs. bulky weight. I'm using the Wool-Ease Chunky, which is twice the weight of yours.... so, why are both of ours turning out short? How weird is that! :lol

That's exactly what happened with mine....I used the N hook and WW wool and it's coming out short. I only have 3 more rows to go and I'll be done.

Any suggestions from anyone who's shawl came out longer?

Kim

Your yarn is lighter than what the pattern calls for - worsted weight vs. bulky weight. I'm using the Wool-Ease Chunky, which is twice the weight of yours.... so, why are both of ours turning out short? How weird is that! :lol

I know what you mean, it's crazy! :yes

Kim

After the 4th row, it is smooth sailing but I had to frog the first 3 rows twice...I am off to the doctors office for a routine visit and I know I will have to wait about two hours for her, so I will bring the shawl with me and see what I get down.

I would hate it to be tooo short, I guess it would be necessary to do one more pattern repeat if that happens...The thread one is a beauty and does not look too short....

see you later.:cheer

Maggie, if you can not find matching yarn to complete the shawl, you can do what I am plann ing to do...I bought 3 skeins of Patons Shetland Chunky in Dark Leaf Green and 1 skein in Leaf Green to make the last row of repeats in a lighter color...I thought it would make it more original than all in the same dark color...we will see when I am finished it it was a good idea.:cheer:clap

I am now on the edging row and I will be done. I noticed that the shawl came out short for me to. I wear and 18/20 and it just fits. I think next time I would make at least one more pattern repeat.

I want to do it with a different, less fuzzy yarn and leave off the bobbles. :hook

I found this pattern on Lionbrand and I thought it would be perfect for a crochet along and it doesn't take a lot of yarn. Here's the link http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70006A.html

Anyone interested? I am making one for me and one for my SIL. :)

I'm late...but I'm joining in! I knitted a shawl for my mom for her birthday and I've been wanting one of my own ever since...this is perfect!

Michael's has Jiffy yarn on sale right now for $2 a skein (at least in Little Rock)...

I finished mine a few minutes ago and it turned out really nice! :clap It's a little shorter than the pic in the pattern but I think it will stretch out some as it hangs. I think the Wool Ease yarn doesn't have alot of stretch to it and that's why it came out shorter, along with the fact that I tend to crochet on the tight side.:blush

I decided to turn mine into a capelet by adding chain tie ends to the front. I can't post pics yet because I haven't been here 60 days but I will as soon as I can!:yes

I'm already planning my next one and will definitely add some more repeats of the pattern like Ickapoo.:)

Fun pattern!

Kim

I left the bobbles off mine... I didnt even know it had bobbles until I read the pattern, then I looked at the picture again and still couldnt really see them! After I tried one of the bobbles, I decided I didnt like it... so out they went!

I am now on the edging row and I will be done. I noticed that the shawl came out short for me to. I wear and 18/20 and it just fits. I think next time I would make at least one more pattern repeat.

I want to do it with a different, less fuzzy yarn and leave off the bobbles. :hook

OK so i picked up the yarn for this project thinking i would join you and grabbed my hook but my N -15 is 10mm . my M-13 is a 9.0mm so do i go with the M-13 or the N-15..Never mind i answered my own question the N gave me the correct gauge so tonight i will get started on this. I hope to get it done quick. I started a new job and they have a contest the end of September for the best shawl,and afghan I knew i couldn't get a afghan done in time so i thought i would give this a try. All the things are then donated to the cancer ward. This Jiffy yarn feels nice and soft and cuddly so it should make someone feel a little better.

I started a new job and they have a contest the end of September for the best shawl,and afghan I knew i couldn't get a afghan done in time so i thought i would give this a try. All the things are then donated to the cancer ward. This Jiffy yarn feels nice and soft and cuddly so it should make someone feel a little better.

How awesome is that! :eek I need to convince my boss that our lawfirm should totally have a "best afghan" contest!! :lol

I have finished a second half moon shawl. This time I used the Jiffy that the pattern called for. I found that I needed five skeins instead of four but I did do one extra row of bobbles. I used an N (10mm) hook and the length seems nice for me. I am definately going to keep this patternon file for making quick easy gifts and charity shawls in the future :yay

th_DSC06551.jpg

th_DSC06550.jpg

Karen,

You are really fast with your hook...two done already...The jiffy blue is beautiful...I am making mine in dark green wool and will try to get some done tomorrow and post a pic....:manyheart

i have been following this thread for a bit, thinking of trying to do it. This weekend I ended up jumping in due to a necessity. A friend of mine called Sunday afternoon to ask for thoughts/prayers due to her father being on his death bed. So, her favorite color is purple and I had some Caron 1 pounders here in deep violet, I started and finished 1 shawl. I used an "M" hook (couldn't find my "N" like pattern called for so I tried to crochet loosely), did not add the bobbles (I tried but didn't like the look), added an extra equivalent to the bobble row before doing the finishing row around and ended up finishing it this morning. the extra row seemed to help it be more accurate a size for me.

I have since started a 2nd shawl (and am nearly finished it also, on like line 25) for her mother. There was almost enough yarn in the 1 pounder to make both shawls (I have another skein of it so will finish up w/ that 1). I think my mom now wants 1 also, lol.

Thanks to the original starter for bringing this quick pattern to my attention, I think it may become 1 of my comfort shawl patterns on file. :)

Sandy

Archived