Half Moon Shawl along

ickaboo

Many people have had problems with Lion Brand patterns. I tried to make a child's crochet top and it was large enough for an adult...when I emailed lion, they only said check my gauge, but I was not off....

I love this pattern and hope it works out okay...I will try it as soon as I finish my 3 projects i am working on now...:cheer

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those fearful of some boo-boos in the pattern - GO FOR IT :clap I found the worst for me was I had to start with ch 3 then 8 (NOT 9) dc in ring - this was the only way I could get the next row to work (and the rest). Just be sure to count your stitches (especially early on) and if necessary fudge a few places to make it work :lol For esample a couple times when I was to make the ch 2 spaces where you skip over two dc I had to skip over three - it still comes out fine :P And I also noticed when they say you should have 44 or79 dc - I don't think that counts the ch 3 that begins the row - or at least I usually always came up with one more stitch than they said I would!

And it is very quick - especially once you get the first few rows done. I did up 21 out of the 25 rows yesterday morning and will finish it up this afternoon or evening. I am estimating it will take me a total of less than five hours to make the entire shawl :clap And I found some Jiffy on sale for $1.29 (at a surplus store here in Maine) so I bought some to make the shawl for myself in the "proper" yarn (I am making my Mom's in Red Heart WW)

SO give it a try :yes

oh man!

I started this thinking I had enough yarn, got down to having two rows left, put my last ball of yarn on and realized it was not "exactly" the same as the rest of the shawl :( and the worst part is...........it is yarn that was gifted to me, and had no labels so I have no idea what kind of yarn it is or the color. :angry

SO.........I guess I will start over with different yarn. This time I will put all of the yarn together before I start LOL.

At least I know what I'm working on over the weekend :blush

How awful. :( I hope it goes well this time.

Karen, the shawl looks really pretty in that color. :)

I still haven't bought any yarn, but hopefully I will get around to it today or tomorrow. I really want to get started.

Ok I looked at this pattern and the first thing I noticed is that you "Don't count the turning ch 3 as a stitch". That would account for anyone having "one stitch too many". Otherwise the spot checks I did counted out fine.

Now that isn't to say that LionBrand doesn't have it's pattern issues. I rarely find the count off but the sizing is another matter.

Good luck, I think I'll make this up after I finish the four afghans I'm involved in right now. Charity projects can really eat up prime "crochet for me" time but it's so worth it to see smiling faces.

Ok I looked at this pattern and the first thing I noticed is that you "Don't count the turning ch 3 as a stitch". That would account for anyone having "one stitch too many". Otherwise the spot checks I did counted out fine.

Now that isn't to say that LionBrand doesn't have it's pattern issues. I rarely find the count off but the sizing is another matter.

Good luck, I think I'll make this up after I finish the four afghans I'm involved in right now. Charity projects can really eat up prime "crochet for me" time but it's so worth it to see smiling faces.

I could see how counting the ch 3 would mess everyone up. I didn't really struggle too much with the pattern. I did have one spot where I messed up but not because of the pattern... I had to put it down and pick it back up in the middle of a row. Anyway, I hardly have any rows left I just haven't had a moment to finish the last few rows up! I think I will try to finish today. :)

:oops:sigh Ok so that explains why my count was off :blush:P I obviously didn't read all the directions too carefully :lol (as my Mom would say "Bad Kid" :devil )

Honestly though- one the first few rows are done this shawl is very quick and easy :clap

Ta Da! My first Half Moon Shawl is done :clap I used Red Heart WW and it turned out nicely. Here are a couple pictures of the completed shawl: (the bottom of the one with me modeling it was wonky and I didn't realize until I downloaded the pic onto the computer (and hubby isn't able to take another pic now))

(Clickable)

th_DSC06531.jpg

th_DSC06530.jpg

I found some Juffy the other day and am starting another shawl for myself. The Jiffy feels soooo much nicer and I think it will make a really nice shawl. Here is the color I'm using in Jiffy:

(Clickable)

th_DSC06506.jpg

Ta Da! My first Half Moon Shawl is done :clap I used Red Heart WW and it turned out nicely. Here are a couple pictures of the completed shawl: (the bottom of the one with me modeling it was wonky and I didn't realize until I downloaded the pic onto the computer (and hubby isn't able to take another pic now))

(Clickable)

th_DSC06531.jpg

th_DSC06530.jpg

I found some Juffy the other day and am starting another shawl for myself. The Jiffy feels soooo much nicer and I think it will make a really nice shawl. Here is the color I'm using in Jiffy:

(Clickable)

th_DSC06506.jpg

You did a lovely job! and it looks even better to me with the ww than the jiffy yarn. I want to finish mine now.

Wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the yarn, but knew I wanted it to be for me.

The yarn is a baby chenille, and the weight is a "6", so I may have to work on gauge a bit.

But I'm looking forward to working on it. I don't generally do ponchos or wraps, especially in acrylic or wool, because I'm unGodly hot-natured, but this is openwork enough that I'm willing to chance it.

Pics so far are beautiful, and thanks for the heads-up about the pattern glitches.

Even compensating for time to extricate my "L" hook from another project, playtime with the kittens, and watching the final episode of "Kyle XY" while crocheting, I just finished row 12.

I did have to do some frogging on the first couple of rows; then compensated with whatever it took to make it work out right. The chenille I'm working with feels SO good.

Personally, I think LionBrand needs to put their new projects out here on C'ville for testing. They'd be much more accurate, and their occasional garish projects would have much more style if they ran them through our designers and crochet fans first.

What can you say, gals (& guys) - we're just good.:hook

Thanks so much for posting pics! It looks beautiful and it's a great color! I started mine today and I'm already on row 15. I had to frog the first couple of rows but found once I understood the pattern it went along nicely from there. I am already thinking of my next one....these are fun to make!

Kim

Karen - Your Green Half Moon is beautiful...I love the color and once you wash it, it should soften up....it looks like you will become addicted to half moons now....I have been addicted to making purses, but may have to change to half moons too....great gift ideas also.:cheer

Am working on Row 22 right now; am completely amazed at how fast this is working up!

This is a great CAL!

State Fair is coming up in October - I may seek out a really cool yarn, and submit a shawl in this pattern.

I am now thinking of making one in Paton's wool, so even tho it has holes, it will be warm in the evenings and winter in wool???:cheer

I think it would still be super warm. Usually whenever I make something with wool, even with a lot of holes, I am surprised at how warm it feels after just a few minutes. Good luck!

2020kitten: I think this would be a great item to enter in your fair. Let us know what happens if you do decide to enter. :hook

Maggie and Kim - - What was the problem with the pattern that you both had to frog the first few rows??? Did it not make sense???

I am going to the LYS tomorrow....can't wait. I love projects that work up fast.

:yay For the edging, it's another trip to Hobby Lobby after physical therapy tomorrow - hubby liked the shawl when I modeled it - gosh, it's got the most wonderful "lay" about it - I could wear it to work, and not need a closure or anything - anyway, I think hubby sees that a shawl this pretty needs me not to skimp on the edging for lack of yarn. (And besides, I'm making a pretty decent dent in my rather substantial stash, with my snuggles and cat toys, so I can justify another skein....:devil)

This has been a good project for me, because I'd had a disappointing day - found out that I'll be off for a third week, due to a back injury at work. NOT good news for a workaholic teacher - anyway, I guess I'm overcompensating by making the shawl plus lots of cat toys & snuggles for the shelter, as well as trying my hand at amigurumi.

Nite nite,

I love this pattern! After making it in the traditional method/yarn, and knowing it would be w-a-a-a-y-y-y-yyy TOO warm for me to wear, I thought I would try something different. I made this one using 2 strands of size 10 thread, and the required N hook. It came out very light and lacey, I love it! It's definately different!

1.jpg

Full view

Detail1.jpg

detail

Detail2.jpg

I've got to work on my tension a bit using a hook this big with thread so thin, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'd love to know what you think!

I love this pattern! After making it in the traditional method/yarn, and knowing it would be w-a-a-a-y-y-y-yyy TOO warm for me to wear, I thought I would try something different. ]

It's absolutely gorgeous the way you made it!! :cheer How much thread did you need to use? I want to make it that way too!! Very nice.:manyheart

Kim

I love this pattern! After making it in the traditional method/yarn, and knowing it would be w-a-a-a-y-y-y-yyy TOO warm for me to wear, I thought I would try something different. ]

It's absolutely gorgeous the way you made it!! :cheer How much thread did you need to use? I want to make it that way too!! Very nice.:manyheart

Kim

It took a little over two full thingies (I'm never sure whether to call them balls or skeins) of Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet thread to make it.

I love this pattern! After making it in the traditional method/yarn, and knowing it would be w-a-a-a-y-y-y-yyy TOO warm for me to wear, I thought I would try something different. I made this one using 2 strands of size 10 thread, and the required N hook. It came out very light and lacey, I love it! It's definately different!

1.jpg

Full view

Detail1.jpg

detail

Detail2.jpg

I've got to work on my tension a bit using a hook this big with thread so thin, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'd love to know what you think!

:yay ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Wonderful job, love the color!

that is a beautiful version with the crochet thread. This pattern seems to look lovely no matter what yarn is used. I only have a row and a half left on mine. I am going to finish today and post pics. :)

So.... can I join? :)

I actually started on mine last night (after finishing off the last of my three afghans for the AZ State Fair! yay!) and got through row 5 before I finally had to go to bed. However, I decided I didnt like the bobbles.... so I'm leaving them out! I'm using LB Wool-Ease Chunky in Walnut.

Archived