Has anyone ever tried this?

Has anyone ever tried using strips of flannel material to crochet a baby blanket? I wonder how well that would work? :thinkSeems to me that it would be not only warm but very soft. Let me know if you have tried this.

Right off............sorry..... I would be very careful using flannel. First..... you would need to have the edges folded in.....because of the threads. Flannel really really unravels when washed and dried. Second..... I would wonder about it being flammable.

I've not tried it, but patterns I have seen using crocheted fabric strips (usually thinner than flannel) result in very heavy, thick objects like rugs or hotpads, I would think it wouldn't be well suited for a baby blanket.

As far as flammability....gosh, how many of us have made baby blankets out of acrylic yarn without giving that a thought??!! :eek Much more dangerous than cotton flannel. Definately food for thought.

[quote name=Granny Square;911844 As far as flammability....gosh' date=' how many of us have made baby blankets out of acrylic yarn without giving that a thought??!! :eek Much more dangerous than cotton flannel. Definately food for thought.[/quote]

I don't think about that either. Plus many of us have crocheted an edging around flanel.

Or not even baby blankets, but adult afghans. Or rugs. Or sweaters. Or ... I just don't think about it, and hope for the best.

Now hot pads, that you remove pans from the oven, that would definately be cotton yarn.

Let us know how crocheting with flanel strips work. I had trouble with cotton fabric and the edging threads come out. I think it was cotton fabric, it was a long time ago and can't remember now... Haven't tried it since...

Debbi

Right off............sorry..... I would be very careful using flannel. First..... you would need to have the edges folded in.....because of the threads. Flannel really really unravels when washed and dried.

I also second this about the unraveling. I've made lots of craft (not crochet) Snowmen in the past and used flannel to make the scarves and hats. It can be a real pain to work with because of those threads. I'm not sure it would quit unraveling to be able to be crocheted with. I have heard of crocheting with polar fleece. Hats and slippers... I think it would be too thick for a baby blanket.

Archived