Crocheting in car after dark

We talked about lamps, but how about in the car?

DH and I are going on a road trip from NC to AL (10 hours) on Labor Day weekend. Last time, I tried using a little book light. I was able to silhouette the work, but still couldn't see well. It would be really nice to be able to crochet in the dark and stay awake in case he needs me to drive.

Any ideas or creative suggestions? :hook

Hubby found a headlamp he uses when he works on small places in computers.......it's for carpenters/plumbers/car repair folks who need both hands AND some extra light. It fits on your head, like a miner's light. I really liked it. I've also seen carpenter's lights at Lowes that hook onto the brim of a ball cap........

Just be careful you don't look up and shine the light right into your hubby's eyes!! :eek

when hubby and i went to florida, i had hubby drive in day so i could crochet....once it got dark i drove, on our way home i drove first so i got the dark and he got day so i could crochet :D

There are several earlights available and I highly recommend the use of one. I have two different types and love them both. You can also get a map light at auto supply stores that might do the trick for you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=ear%20light&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_11074987_1&results-process=default

You can try looking for a Spotglo Seatbelt Lite which is a light that clips on/off your seatbelt. You can see what one looks like here at Ace Hardware but you may want to check out a Wal-Mart store first before buying/ordering any. I know that I have seen this light marked down on clearance at Wal-Mart for $5 or $6 or something like that.

You can also try looking for a Beam & Read and here's one link to find/see it online:

http://www.readinglight.com/cgi-exec/store/commerce.cgi

There's also a light called Mighty Bright Craft Light that you can use with batteries or with AC or DC (car) adapter power cords. I know I've seen it in LYS as well as Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, and Joann. You can see it online here:

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=326422

I have one and definitely recommend getting the AC and the DC power cord adapters for it. The DC adapter (car adapter) works great for traveling - just plug it into a cigarette lighter/power outlet. There are also some other accessories you can buy to add to the light like a magnifier.

HTH! :hook

I've seen headlamps like were described sold for camper's and hikers at various stores. I used one once when I was at an orienteering event where I needed my hands free for map and compas but also needed a light because it was night out. It worked great because the light shines where you point your head so if I looked down at the map, the light was there or up the trail and there was the light too. (Although it was almost full moon so I didn't need the light so much on the trails and in the fields...)

we had map lights in our van when we drove home, it was great because it was enough light to not bother him and for me to crochet, because it shined right on me and not over the front of the car.. other than that.. no ideas

At our local Wal-Mart in the book section they have a light that you hang around your neck on a cord. It's LED lamps so it's bright and doesn't kill your battery's. Works great, I got one for Christmas in an exchange. Around $10.00 I think.

Archived