Sideways Lace Scarf - Using Broomstick Lace! (Picture Added!)

Kimberly

Have you ever seen those really big knitting needles and wondered what in the world folks knitted on those? Well the secret is, crocheters use them! :) Huh? Yes, there is a crochet technique called broomstick lace which is done by using one larger knitting needle and a crochet hook!

I have finished just posted my Sideways Lace scarf, which is a very easy introduction pattern to Broomstick Lace. Now, should you not have a larger knitting needle, no fears, you can use a dowel with a rounded point, or even a realy broomstick which is what my Mother used 35+ years ago when she made an afghan in the brookstick lace pattern!

Here is my pattern location:

http://cityofcrochet.blogspot.com/2007/08/sideways-lace-scarf-pattern.html

At the end of the pattern I've included some general instructions on how to modify the pattern for different lenghts / sizes of knitting needles!

Should you want some instruction on Broomstick Lace before you dive in, there is a good picture tutorial located here:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/broomstick_lace_jiffy_lace_.htm

My Ravelry Pattern Link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sideways-lace-scarf

My latest version of this scarf:

1229286097_4e17de5976_m.jpg

[url=http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sideways-lace-scarf][/url]

Enjoy!!

Learning to Broomstick lace is on my things to do before I die! Great scarf!

Its easier than you think! At first, its more clumsy than difficult, because you have to coordinate the hook, yarn AND the big broomstick pin... but once you get the hang of it, it just flies! :)

I made a afghan that I used some broomstick lace in.. I went though the house looking for dowel or somethng that I could use.. A broom stick was to big ( wide), all the dowels I had were to small,:think found the right size~ plunger handle.:lol It even had a curve at the top...Thankfully it was never used..

I made a afghan that I used some broomstick lace in.. I went though the house looking for dowel or somethng that I could use.. A broom stick was to big ( wide), all the dowels I had were to small,:think found the right size~ plunger handle.:lol It even had a curve at the top...Thankfully it was never used..
:lolToo cute! When I first started experimenting with broomstick lace I did the same thing - going through the house trying to see what I could use! I knew I had the big pin back in the US in my needle stash but here in Belgium I had nothing bigger than a Size 10 knitting needle.....I ended up using my mop handle for my practice....Talk about big and bulky!

Thanks to everyone for the comments - this pattern is really easy and a good way to start your introduction to broomstick lace! I can not wait to see what everyone finished scarves!

I have a few more broomstick lace patterns I am finishing up on....once done I'll be posting those also so stay tuned!

That scarf is beautiful. I plan to learn broomstick lace eventually, but I've promised myself not to learn anything new until I get some more practice in at tatting, knitting and spinning. :) When I do learn, I will be giving your pattern a try--thanks for sharing it.

I can't wait to see more patterns. There are so few available and I love doing broomstick lace, but other than a belt or scarf, I don't know what to do with it. I don't like afghans with holes in them so that option is out.

Neat!! I had just "inherited" a broomstick lace stick thingy in some stash, and now I'll have something I can actually use it for. lol!

I can't wait to see more patterns. There are so few available and I love doing broomstick lace, but other than a belt or scarf, I don't know what to do with it. I don't like afghans with holes in them so that option is out.
I think it can be fairly versatile especially depending on which size knitting needle you use....I've been lately playing around with smaller sizes which is giving me a totally different feel and drape....I am envisioning ponchos, hats and shawls...perhaps even a skirt or a top....

Archived