Crochet with Wire?

This doesnt have its own section so I'll try posting this here:think

Crocheting with wire - I know it can be done!

Does anyone have any tips? Or know of some good sites?

I was thinking about one of the classes for Canberra Royal - Crochet with different materials (i.e. other than yarn) and I wanted to make some earrings - granny squares basically - in wire...

Thanks!!!

Manda

I did a bracelet once. It was interesting but not really my sort of thing. they were selling kits at the Arts and Crafts show here on the Coast and I got sucked in. There is a place in NEW south wales that was selling these. i will see if I can find the name.

I've seen some incredible jewelry made by crocheting with wire. You need to use a very small gauge of wire... 26 ga or even higher... 30 ga. (the higher the number the thinner the wire).

You can practice with copper wire because it is soft and inexpensive and readily available at hardware stores. If you want to work with precious metals, fine silver works because it is softer than sterling.

Have fun!

Joan

use about a 4 mm hook

lincraft and spotlight sell the wire that you want it is in the bead section

from memory about a 24 - 28 gauge is good

thread the beads on first and then you can just do a chain stitch

make 3 lenghs and plait them together

attach clasps

wa la !! you have a necklace or even a bracelet

there should be books at spotlight or lincraft

see how you go

good luck

I recently saw a video on YouTube and a lady was actually making a necklace with wire and beads. It was very cool. She used a size I hook and made three strands. She then braided them together and put on a clasp. It looked terrific.

Look under crocheting on YouTube.

I also heard some hints I thought I would pass along.

Use metal hooks, not plastic or wood.

Use an older one that you don't care about. It may get niches cut in it.

String the beads on first. Try an assortment of glass and crystal for a cool look.

Practice on some wire first to get the hang of it before you try to make a project.

Also I have seen crocheted squares in a crochet book. I'll have to look at my books and figure out which book it is in. Running late today. So I will post later.

I hope I helped.

:manyheart

I recently started crocheting with wire too. Its fun and really turns out beautifully!

My one piece of advice would be to use higher gauge wire. I started with 24 and my necklace came out pretty stiff. I made another with 26 and that helped a little, but its still stiff. I just bought some 32, that seems much more flexible.

Post some pics when you get your pieces done! I still need to post some of mine too.

Just a tip, this section is the show in tell section for finished projects. When you have specific questions about a style or technique of crochet you can post in the Community College section of the board. You can also post general questions like this in the Crochet Help section.

I think there are plans for a wire crochet board here. I have seen discussion of it in the beading crochet board here. There is a search function as well.

Have fun:)

I just wanted to let you know I tried it with 28 guage wire and I loved working with it. I made a necklace in a half an hour. Turned out great.

:manyheart

Archived