Tunisian - Pain!!

dragonfli

Question

Hello everyone. Is there anyone out that that likes to Tunisian Crochet? I just started an afghan that is entirely Tunisian stitch and have discovered that not only does it take twice as long, but it is giving me a pain in my shoulders. Does anyone have any experience with this? Here I am thinking "Oh I love this stitch, won't it make a really great tight woven afghan?" So, I decide to make an entire afghan out of this stitch!! I wrote out a pattern and mapped out the color scheme on my Exel Macro and started right in. Well, all I can say is 4 hours later - - OUCH! My neck and shoulders are killing me and I only have one strip done!! Gggrrrrr! Of course now that I have started, I am compelled to finish. However, next time around I think I may give it a little more thought and maybe just do some squares of Tunisian!!

16 answers to this question

I use the Tuinsian stitch alot, I find that if I have a pillow under my elbows to support my arms, my sholders and neck don't get sore.

If that doesn't work for you, you could get the cable tunisian hook. Most of the work will be on the cable so you don't have to support it with the hook.

Hope that helps.

I've had the same problem with the pain in my hands and the indention in my hand where the needle sticks out. I tend to crochet very tight, but I noticed I had less pain in my hands if I really worked at crocheting more loosely. Using a slightly larger hook usually helps me.

I didn't realize I could get a "cable hook". I have only ever read about or seen the Tunisian Hooks. This is definately something I will have to look into. For now, I am going to try the pillows. Thanks!

I do A LOT of tunisian crochet, but I do not do afghans. I do scarves on a big (size R) hook. I love it because it is quick and easy. There are some excellent online tunisian sites. perhaps you could get some ideas on how to cut down the pain there also. Don't give up!

Okay, not to step on anyone's toes here, but I truly HATE tunisian crochet. Not necessarily because it "gives me a pain", I just flat out hate it. I hate doing it and I hate the way it looks.

If I'm gonna knit, I knit....If I'm gonna crochet, I crochet. But this thing that is not quite either one and really isn't fun to do, forget about it!

Hi all,

I have not posted in quite some time, but am currently planning some tunisian projects and saw these posts. I really like tunisian and find that switching from conventional hook corochet to tunisian keeps things interesting. I guess if I was an accomplished knitter, I would knit before doing tunisian, but I can't knit, so....!

I have no pain when I am doing tunisian, but have always crocheted with a pillow for support, or even sitting at a table using the table as support for my arms. I DO get pain in my "hook hand" elbow if I crocchet too much - I consider it a job hazard. Anyone else get this? What do you do to alleviate or prevent this?

The afghan hooks with the cable extensions are wonderful - try them! Also, I am currently playing with a 10 or 12inch size E (wood) afghan hook. I have always wanted to use crochet thread with tunisian stitches. It looks great and has such possibilities for creating lovely fabric.

I am teaching myself crochet cable stitches and wonder if anyone else who is left-handed has a bit of trouble with this? Is it just me or is it being left-handed?!

One more question - where are all the great patterns? I am so tired of trying to find something that is not a TP cover, afghan, or baby/kids pattern. I really want fashionable but not wacky garment patterns. Any suggestions? Have many books, but this gets expensive, and buying an entire book for one pattern is getting to me. I gues I will have to try designing. Advise? Thanks all!

Hi Mominator, welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean about finding good patterns. The old toilet paper cozies and air freshener dolls are so TACKY. I also don't need any more afghan or baby patterns. Some publications specialize in these types of cutesy projects. Each to her own, but those just aren't for me. (like tunisian crochet isn't for me either!)

On the newsstands in the larger bookstores like Borders you can usually find a good selection of magazines with fashionable up-to-date patterns. Magazines are a lot cheaper than books. I don't usually get patterns online but once in a while I see some cute freebies on the Lion Yarn website (lionbrand.com or something like that?) One of the reasons I learned to knit a few years ago is because there are so many more good knitting patterns available. I decided that knitting would open up my possibilities. Also, switching it up keeps it interesting.

mominator, are you asking where are all the Tunisian great designs or in general? For tunisian, i dunnooo...it seems way more suitable for blankets to me...or a simple shawl done in a finer gauge yarn with a larger tunisian hook. but in general standard i like LOOKING at the crochet clothing designs at these sites:

http://www.tahkistacycharles.com/dyn_prod.php?p=CRO07&pb=CRO07-014

http://www.stitchdiva.com/

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/oppskrift_oversikt.php?kat=Heklet&side=1&fra=0

as to the main question of pain, i have not sat and tunisian crocheted long enough to have pain yet. i usually stop and surf the net, check email, walk the dog, or get something from the kitchen once an hour so no repetitive strain sets in.

Hi all,

IOne more question - where are all the great patterns? I am so tired of trying to find something that is not a TP cover, afghan, or baby/kids pattern. I really want fashionable but not wacky garment patterns. Any suggestions? Have many books, but this gets expensive, and buying an entire book for one pattern is getting to me. I gues I will have to try designing. Advise? Thanks all!

Have you tried www.stitchdiva.com or www.chezcrochet.com or www.nexstitch.com ? They all have great Tunisian crochet wearables!

I'm not a huge fan of Tunisian crochet because the hook is so darn big but I like to do it once in a while for a change. :hook

Kim

I have not thought of using thread with the tunisian. I bet that works up really nice. I think I will make my mother a table runner!!:) Thanks for the great idea. Right now I am using a J Tunisian Hook, I bought the set which was H, I, J, and K. Does anyone know where I can get B or C Tunisian Hook? I haven't seen any in any of my LYS. Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I will post a pic of the Afghan/Blanket as soon as I am done with it. Jess315, I think you are right, the density of the stitch makes it more suitable as a blanket when worked up and a medium weight yarn like RHSS. But it will definately be warm!!

Hi all,

I have not posted in quite some time, but am currently planning some tunisian projects and saw these posts. I really like tunisian and find that switching from conventional hook corochet to tunisian keeps things interesting. I guess if I was an accomplished knitter, I would knit before doing tunisian, but I can't knit, so....!

I have no pain when I am doing tunisian, but have always crocheted with a pillow for support, or even sitting at a table using the table as support for my arms. I DO get pain in my "hook hand" elbow if I crocchet too much - I consider it a job hazard. Anyone else get this? What do you do to alleviate or prevent this?

The afghan hooks with the cable extensions are wonderful - try them! Also, I am currently playing with a 10 or 12inch size E (wood) afghan hook. I have always wanted to use crochet thread with tunisian stitches. It looks great and has such possibilities for creating lovely fabric.

I am teaching myself crochet cable stitches and wonder if anyone else who is left-handed has a bit of trouble with this? Is it just me or is it being left-handed?!

One more question - where are all the great patterns? I am so tired of trying to find something that is not a TP cover, afghan, or baby/kids pattern. I really want fashionable but not wacky garment patterns. Any suggestions? Have many books, but this gets expensive, and buying an entire book for one pattern is getting to me. I gues I will have to try designing. Advise? Thanks all!

dragonfli ~ I made this with the tunisian/afghan stitch. I would agree that it does take a long time and is a bit more work but I really do like the way they turn out and really you can make some creative afghans/wall hangings. Hang in there. At the end you may surprise yourself and be really happy with the finished product!:hook

WOW! That is a lot of work!! It turned out great!! I love the fleece backing, what a great idea! Now my head is spinning with all kinds of possibilities!! Thanks so much for sharing.

dragonfli ~ I made this with the tunisian/afghan stitch. I would agree that it does take a long time and is a bit more work but I really do like the way they turn out and really you can make some creative afghans/wall hangings. Hang in there. At the end you may surprise yourself and be really happy with the finished product!:hook