Yarn question

Anya

Question

What's the difference between brushed acrylic yarn and regular acrylic yarn. I have a pattern that calls for brushed acrylic worsted weithg yard but would it be allright just to use the regular kind?

Also, I love working with I think it's called One pound...or something, that's my favourite! Would that qualify mor patterns that call for worsted weight? I just started a couple projects and they're coming out pretty good, nice and soft.

6 answers to this question

brushed acrylic is more fuzzy looking. It works up the same as any other ww but to me it looks old and washed only because of the fuzziness of the yarn.

If your "one Pounds" are by Caron yes that would be a worsted weight yarn - I love their yarns :c9

As far as a brushed Acrylic I immediately though of the "fluff yarns" - similiar to the Red Heart Symphony (heres a link http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Crochet/Yarns/Medium/Red+Heart+Symphony.htm - they are pretty for some things however if you need to "frog" (ripp the stitches out) thats where you run into problems---I will hold my work upside down and pull carefully

Hope this is help ful

It's sort of like faux mohair. Lion 'jiffy' (regular, not thick & quick) is an example, for ww.

You could use, say, Red Heart or Caron one-pounder - but - my two cents:

1) You would not get the fuzzy mohair look the designer intended

2) Caron one pounder is much too stiff for a wearable IMHO, even stiffer than Red Heart. I've made sweaters with RH, although it's stiffish too. I'd go for something softer, ESPECIALLY if your pattern calls for a brushed yarn which is softer still.

edit - the Caron one-pounder is a different animal than Caron simply soft, which is nice for wearables Found out the hard way! :(.

:cheer Brushed would be lighter thus making a longer ball of yarn so if you use un-brushed, you would probably need a little more.

The yarn wrapper should have the length of yarn on it so the longer it is, the further it will go and the lighter the whole thing will be.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

well, i like fuzzy:P . Iactually went out to Michales and got some jiffy mohair yarn and Ilike it a lot. I'll let you know how it works out.

Iwas also talking about the pound of love that Ilove working with. So soft!

Archived