have you seen/heard of a crochet speed contest?

I have always wondered about crochet and knitting speed contests. I read about on one time on the net. Has anyone seen one or heard of one? I would love to see one. I am slow to medium. Do you know any very fast crocheters? How fast do you think they could, for example, make the little baby sweater pattern I finished?

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5036010

or an afghan?

I was in the one at our local Michaels last summer and they said I cheated! How could you cheat? It was just making a chain. Anyway they gave the prize to a person whose chain was 3ft shorter than mine. I have not set foot in that store since and told all my friends to boycott it.:hook

I've heard of them. I think there was another contest after the one Lilly Chin won and someone else beat her.

I thought of about trying it as I crochet fast, but haven't found one close enough by. I do get lots of comments "you croche fast". I haven't tried a baby sweater or tested myself on an afghan. Never really timed myself.

http://www.ukhandknitting.com/ looks like this has an option to figure out your speed... might be interesting to try... it's in UK terms though...

Also check out the link for Guinness World Records.

longest scarf at 33 miles long! :eek

World's Longest Piece Of Crochet

On 14th July 1986, Ria van der Honing of The Netherlands completed a 38 mile, 1,1471 long crochet chain

Debbi

I mentioned this on another thread. I was at a CGOA Conference a few years ago and sat behind Lily Chin so I had a perfect view of her crocheting. I never saw anyone crochet so fast in all my life. My hands were cramping up just watching her!

I know she appeared on some program (David Letterman maybe?) and crocheted a sweater for him in 30 minutes on the air.

Maybe someone else has taken her title away, I haven't kept up. But I'll never forget watching her go at it. Amazing.

I saw a picture of the sweater she made, she used a large hook and the sleeves went to the elbows and it didn't quite fit, it was very short, like a bolero. LOL. I think there's a pic somewhere on the web, but not sure where.

Gee whiz. Give her an hour then and she'll have a complete, well-fitting, long-sleeved sweater.:lol In that same hour, I might finish the foundation row!

I saw a picture of the sweater she made, she used a large hook and the sleeves went to the elbows and it didn't quite fit, it was very short, like a bolero. LOL. I think there's a pic somewhere on the web, but not sure where.

I agree, the sweater wasn't great or anything. But watching her hands fly is pretty impressive.

Michaels is still doing it?

I haven't heard since about two or three years ago. I entered then with my broke finger. I technically won but told her my count wrong. I didn't care for the prize so I didn't make a big deal about it and let the other woman 'win'.

I think so. I saw a sign in my local Michael's about a year ago at most.

Found the pic of that sweater on Lion Brand's site.

I've never seen a speed contest though, but I'd love to. I can crochet fairly quickly but I'd love to watch some really fast stitching!

Archived