I've never crocheted--help

eli1118

Question

Friends,

I saw an amigurumi pattern on etsy.com and want to learn how to crochet so that I can make that cute doll. I don't know what to supplies to buy--or where to begin. I have an 11 month old son, so I can only do this when he is napping. I will take any help I can get. I want to crochet badly.

thanks in advance:think

20 answers to this question

ok kristen don't you think "a few amigurumis" is an understatement?! just kidding!

eli1118- welcome aboard...you will find lots of helpful people here! i would suggest starting with somthing easy and flat until you get the hang of what you are doing before you start an amigurumi. jmo! i taught myself to crochet about 5 years ago and i still have some trouble with the amingurumis. but you can and will get it!

good luck!

kris

Yes! I have made a few amigurumis.

The doll you are making is adorable. I have seen a few peoples finished dolls...all very cute!

I am sure if you get stuck, she would help you out no problem!

Or, ask in the forum too, everyone here is very helpful!

when i started i started with an afgan. but if you want something quick that gives you a sense of accomplishment try a dish cloth or hot pad or something. just somthing to practice making your stiches and getting them even, which i guess is important for "gauge" which i never follow. or try a scarf just something simple. even if you don't have a particular item just a scrap to practice with.

let us know if you have any questions or problems! kristiemns patterns are good and pretty easy to follow. and she is wonderful when you need help!

kris

Kris,

Thanks so much for your encouragement, it is helpful to know that you taught yourself and make amis (Wow) What would be a good "flat" thing to begin with. Right now I am practicing on how to make a nice circle.

Melissa,

Wow, your Sarita is beautiful. I can't wait to make mine and the afghan, you guys are too much. I am trying to make a circle--how embarassing.

Kris,

Thanks so much for your encouragement, it is helpful to know that you taught yourself and make amis (Wow) What would be a good "flat" thing to begin with. Right now I am practicing on how to make a nice circle.

Melissa,

Wow, your Sarita is beautiful. I can't wait to make mine and the afghan, you guys are too much. I am trying to make a circle--how embarassing.

I would start with a very simple amigurumi. I tested the Sarita pattern, and while it is fairly easy, and the pattern is VERY easy to follow, you should probably start with something a bit easier and faster. I found myself making a couple of minor changes to the Sarita pattern (like the skirt, etc), so that it would look more like the one in the photograph. Here is my Sarita (with my one and only afghan in the background! :lol)

sarita.jpg

Kristie,

Do you have any suggestions on which ami to make first? I am such an amateur.

Try my mouse.

I have taught a few people how to crochet with this pattern.

If you can sc, this should be easy enough.

Basically, all you do is sc increase...2 sc into one sc,

sc-dec, decrease over 2 stitches....(let me know if you need help with this one)

and sc. There might be a slp st in there too...slip stitch.

Count your stitches going around.....

This works up really quick.

Here is the link,

http://http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27075

Again, if you have any questions or problems, let me know!!

Kristie,

Thanks for the advice. I love the frog avatar--did you make it? Which amis have you made? Oh, by the way I finished a flower today--yeah! I bit crooked though. I am going to try the next flower. We will see how that one turns out.

Yes, the frog is from one of my patterns.

Click on the saying "all my free patterns in one place"

It will bring you to my free patterns that I have posted here at the ville.

Kristie,

Thanks for the advice. I love the frog avatar--did you make it? Which amis have you made? Oh, by the way I finished a flower today--yeah! I bit crooked though. I am going to try the next flower. We will see how that one turns out.

Kristie,

The pattern I am referring to is one that Owly is selling on etsy.com. She is called Sarita and is just adorable. I know it will be awhile before I can make her. I am trying to make a basic flower for practice. It is going okay. Maybe I will finish it today. Do you make amigurumis?:yes

Yes! I have made a few amigurumis.

The doll you are making is adorable. I have seen a few peoples finished dolls...all very cute!

I am sure if you get stuck, she would help you out no problem!

Or, ask in the forum too, everyone here is very helpful!

Congrats and welcome to the obbsessive insanity we call crochet! You'll find lots of wonderful people here and we're all willing and able to help our fellow fiber artists!

... Now to start your stash!

Kristie,

The pattern I am referring to is one that Owly is selling on etsy.com. She is called Sarita and is just adorable. I know it will be awhile before I can make her. I am trying to make a basic flower for practice. It is going okay. Maybe I will finish it today. Do you make amigurumis?:yes

Hello & Welcome! I would recommend that you pick up the book called Crochet Made Easy by Coats & Clark. You can get it at Wal-Mart, HL, etc and is only about $2.50. For this particular pattern you will need to look at the directions as to what size hook it is asking you to use as well as what kind of yarn it is asking you to use and that is what you need to get to make it look exactly the same. Now, I personally think that for a beginner you should use a yarn like Red Heart Super Saver which is an acrylic 4 ply worsted weight yarn and an H hook, which is pretty standard and can be used for lots of things. Again, this is a personal preference but I like Susan Bates hooks better than Boye hooks b/c they have a more pointed tip which is helpful when crocheting tightly, for such things as the doll you would be making and also b/c the hook part of it is deeper than a Boye hook and the yarn tends to slip less. Hope this helps and good luck.

Archived