About the foundation chain

acraftylady

Question

Ok after you ch then work into the starting ch I go into both strands of the starting ch at the bottom. I think at class that is what the teacher told us to do so that's how I always do it.

Today I am practicing some stitches from my leisure arts DVD and one stitch they had me go into both strands of the starting ch but another stitch they specified the top loop only of the starting ch.

When I look at patterns for afghans and such I have never seen one specify on the starting ch so is it propper to always work into both threads of the starting ch unless they say top loops? Never thought about this before until I started practicing these stitches from the DVD today. Mary

5 answers to this question

Take your pick. For years I did it the way you described (the way I was taught), the first method below:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/into-foundation-ch.htm

Now I use the second method, it is a little trickier (it helps to use a the next sizelarger hook for the chain) but I think it looks better. The bottom looks like a chain, just like the top of your stitch.

You can also go chain-less

http://serendipity.gpvm.com/no_chain.html

Have fun

Wow, thanks for the link, Granny Square! I've never heard of the chainless method before - I'll have to try it some time. I hate working into the chain, I normally work into the back loop of each chain (but you're right, it is a bit tricky).

I had never herd of the chainless method! That is so cool. I think I will try that for the next project that needs it. I have tried back loop only and both loops, as well as the opposite way(I don't know how else to explain it) for both loops. I'm usually not really satisfied with any of them. So I have got to try this new chainless thing!

I think it is a matter of prefrence. I have always used the first method. I really do not like working in the chain either, so I tried the chainless method. I just could not figure it out. Well I am doing a pattern that requires me to ss in the back loop of the chain. I think I like this method better! I think it has a better finished look. Especially if you don't want to put a border on it. I might be using this more oftern.

Archived