Help with scarf pattern

acraftylady

Question

5 answers to this question

I think they just mean "skip next ch, dc in next ch". If you think about it, each ch is in essence a "ch 1 sp". Also, the "turn, ch 3" on Row 1 is pretty superfluous. On a foundation row, you can just chain however many stitches you need, and there's no need to turn.

I would've written it this way:

Row 1: Ch 29. Work 3 dc in 4th ch from hook, skip next ch, dc in next ch, *skip next ch, 3 dc in next ch, skip next ch, dc in next ch.* Rep from * across.

Maybe it was translated from another language, or from a knitting pattern... That would be my guess. Anyway, try it that way. I think it should work fine. :)

:think :think :think :think :think

I would simply ditch the pattern and find another or just work your favourite stitch as wide as you want for as long as you want.

I make a nice scarf by making about 30 or so chain then I work 1DC onto 3rd CH from the hook and into the next CH, *CH 1, 1DC into next 3 CH* Repeat * to * over as many stitches as you want for the width you want. (Leave the rest of the CH hanging to neaten off later) CH 3, turn.

Pattern row: 1DC into the next 2 DC, *CH 1, 1DC into next 3DC* Repeat * to * to the end of the row. CH 3 turn.

Repeat this row until you have the length you want.

When you are done, carefully unpick the excess Chain, back to all but the last 2 CH and neaten off the tail as normal.

Simple and effective.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I think they just mean "skip next ch, dc in next ch". If you think about it, each ch is in essence a "ch 1 sp". Also, the "turn, ch 3" on Row 1 is pretty superfluous. On a foundation row, you can just chain however many stitches you need, and there's no need to turn.

I would've written it this way:

Row 1: Ch 29. Work 3 dc in 4th ch from hook, skip next ch, dc in next ch, *skip next ch, 3 dc in next ch, skip next ch, dc in next ch.* Rep from * across.

Maybe it was translated from another language, or from a knitting pattern... That would be my guess. Anyway, try it that way. I think it should work fine. :)

I agree with Mimi that this is what Caron meant to say. I have been seeing some strange instructions happening in a few places lately. (One pattern starts with ch 3, turn :eek Say what? )

... but I would only work 1 dc into the 4th chain from hook at the beginning of this row and only 2 dc into the last chain to keep the edges even.

Thanks. Our church got a request for red scarves for aids and we need them by September so I wanted to get started right away. I have this pattern half done and really like it and then will try that one again with the suggestions. I plan on doing varioius different ones so I won't get bored. Mary

http://thecraftygodzille.blogspot.com/2006/10/country-terrace-scarf-crochet.html

Archived