Ugggh i hate when this happens

I am making a blanket for my mom, my WIP and we went to the store and bought the yarn. I got caron simply soft in bone.. It says right on there NO DYE LOT!!! yet when I was measuring my piece today clearly the first skien i used is a lot darker than the remaining skiens. It's so frustrating, it's just like this block of stained yarn.. it makes me soo angry when that happens..

oh I HATE when that happens! if it says "no dye lot" I expect all the skeins to be the same shade! and if they are not going to be the same shade, then I would rather hunt for all the same dye lot number than to be disappointed after I have already started a project. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Caron has had lots of dye lot problems lately. Be sure to contact customer service, they usually send you replacements. I've gotten 6 free skeins because of two different projects in just the last 4 months. Of course, they've both been for gifts. See this post about my latest Caron dye lot problem.

Fortunately, I noticed more than anyone else.

Even when they say no dye lot, I look at the stamp that tells the date that it was made. If you get skeins that were made in the same batch, then you can be sure that they'll match.

My mom and I were in Joanns today to pick up some yarn for a ghan I want to make for a friend. The friend likes neutral colors, so I found Caron One Pounds in off-white. Grabbed 10 between the two of us as walked towards the better lit part of the store. Even the ladies in the sewing machine department could see the differences, but we finally found 5 that are the same shade, so hopefully it will be ok. If not, you can bet Caron will hear from me.

This happens a lot with Lion brand homespun. their pink isn't the same shade. I was making a shawl once and forgot to bring a scrap to compare, and right there in the store they had the pink skeins, but you could clearly see one was darker than the other.

The yellows in Lion are just as bad. Making a prayer shawl, several skeins of Sunshine State looked more like Golden. Luckily I caught it early enough to alternate one skein of each until it looked like I planned the pattern that way. Some of the 'off' ones were even the same dye lot...ugh ugh ugh.

Maybe the companies that produce yarns that are supposed to have "no dye lot" should just start admitting that they do have dye lots and change the packaging and inform us all that they are now "dye lot" yarns and to be careful when buying yarn.

Because it's just stupid for them to continue to insist there's no dye lot when its obvious there is.

Maybe the companies that produce yarns that are supposed to have "no dye lot" should just start admitting that they do have dye lots and change the packaging and inform us all that they are now "dye lot" yarns and to be careful when buying yarn.

Because it's just stupid for them to continue to insist there's no dye lot when its obvious there is.

I second that motion!

At some point reality just has to be dealt with. :yes

I was looking over the sleeves of the yarn i used and on the inside where it is glued are three numbers, and two of the three skiens had different numbers. which would indicate to me different dye lots. however you can't see these unless you rip apart the sleeve. something sadly you can't do in the store. I just hate that you don't even notice the difference until you make a project because as a whole the skein looks just like the other. hopefully caron will get back to me soon. I also hope they don't insist on sending me the same colors since after this project I won't need that color any more.

My mother made this beautiful Afghan for my daughter and we did not notice til it was done and laid on the floor that the middle section of the afghan was

about three shades lighter that the rest! We were so upset, but my daughter cherishes it and uses it all the time so that's all that matters.

Sooooo.....we sure know how your feel!!!

I bought a "no-dye lot' pink...can't remember the brand now...to make a double strand bunny. I had enough yarn to make everything except the ears. Go figure! :think Any way I ran back to the store and bought 1 more skein. Made the ears...put them on and admired my work... Well the next morning in the natural light I saw a huge difference in the color. :( Well maybe if I keep him in the dark it'll be fine. :)

My sister and I did the same thing, and I already complained about it in the yarn section. We were on the way to Fairhope, and we had to stop in about five different stores to get enough yarn to make a sweater. We chose a no-dye-lot Bernat Soft Boucle, because we knew we were going to have to stop all those times to get enough yarn to finish up the project.

Of course, they didn't match and we couldn't tell until she finished knitting the back and one side.

I checked the Bernat website, and they are claiming that if you buy the "no-dye lot" you should buy yarn with the same dates on the sleeve, if you want to make sure that it's the same color. I'm thinking that is a dye lot number is a dye lot number, no matter whether it's the date they manufactured it or if it's some random number Bernat pulled out of the sky.

I never buy yarn that isn't marked with matching dye lots. But, the other day I was buying some woolease and was carefully picking out all the matching dye lots and found four skeens that were totally different colors from the rest of the "matching skeens". I have never had that happen to me before.

I have an FAQ section at my site and 1 question is about dye lot #s/no dye lot yarn and if you go to this page at my site, you can read Caron's reply to an e-mail I sent them in March 2006:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/4newbies4.html#dyelot

HTH!

I have an FAQ section at my site and 1 question is about dye lot #s/no dye lot yarn and if you go to this page at my site, you can read Caron's reply to an e-mail I sent them in March 2006:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/4newbies4.html#dyelot

HTH!

Thank you for that info, Cinnaminn...:)

I was looking over the sleeves of the yarn i used and on the inside where it is glued are three numbers, and two of the three skiens had different numbers. which would indicate to me different dye lots. however you can't see these unless you rip apart the sleeve. something sadly you can't do in the store. I just hate that you don't even notice the difference until you make a project because as a whole the skein looks just like the other. hopefully caron will get back to me soon. I also hope they don't insist on sending me the same colors since after this project I won't need that color any more.

I complained a while ago becouse I had purchased a few skeins of ss for a project that were all tangled and knoted, after the store refused to return them, when I complaind i told caron another color that I needed for a project, they sent me the color I asked for, even though I complained about 1 skein I got 3

Archived