HELP! I'm getting so frustrated!

boo1

Question

Everything I try to do in the round gets funky at about row 4. So I decided to make a ripple afghan instead. I'm on about row 4 (!) and it's starting to buckle.

Here are the Row 1 and Row 2 instructions (you just do them over and over) (Chain 188)

Foundation Row: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across: 187 sc: ch 3, turn (easy enough)

Row 1: 4 dc in 1st sc, *skip next sc, (dc in next sc, skip next sc) 7 times**, (5 dc in next sc) twice; repeat from * to last sc, end at **; 5 dc in last sc: 187 dc; ch 1, turn

Row 2: Sc in each dc across and in 3rd ch of ch 3: 187 sc; ch 3 (counts as dc on next row), turn.

Okay, question 1: in Row 1, after the 4 dc, and the skipped sc, when you're doing the part in 1st parentheses and you get to the 5 dc in next sc twice......Once I've done the first paren 7 times, do I SKIP the next sc to start the 5 dc or not? I've tried it both ways and they both leave me with what appears to be the wrong number of sc left at the end of the row.

Question 2: In row 2, I'm having trouble figuring out which part of some of the stitches are the dc; since I have skipped stitches on the previous row, I can't tell whether to stitch in one top or the next, if that makes any sense.

And now, as I continue on, my rippled afghan (humble as it is) is beginning to buckle.

Would someone please come live with me for a few weeks and help me?

Thanks,

Laura

22 answers to this question

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with it, it can get so frustrating at times. Just wanted to give you this link if you ever wanted to make another ripple afghan. I have made several afghans from this pattern and it is so simple: http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns/ripple.html

I hope you get it figured out :hug

I do have to agree. I have made several of these ripple afghans and they are easy and turn out beautifully! Good Luck!

Yes on the very right after the first hole it looks like you goofed because too me the holes don't look lined up, been there done that so I can relate. I have to agree with your about using two different colors together. I tried it figuring it would be easy so I wouldn't have to change colors and could just do it all like that but I didn't like the look either. Once you get back on track it will go so easy. I like patterns like this where I don't have to think or keep looking at the instructions for what to do. I did mine 6 rows wide for each color. You could try doing the white wide and then a skinny strip of red in between each white. My son is heavily involved in youth bowling so during leage or tournaments I sit and crochet while waiting for him to pass time and I like easy easy for those times. Mary

I am sure I was doing that and everything seemed to align properly. I decided to decrease a stitch but I am not sure if I am going to keep going with this. I am using red and white and I am not liking it very much. I may just frog and do a few rows in red and then some in white. Similiar to yours but with red and white - I think it will look better.

I feel like the red and white together looks cheesy -

th_xmasripple002.jpg

Although now that I am looking at the picture, it looks like the right side is not aligned great - ugh

Did you do the 2SC together at the beginning of the row right? Don't forget after you SC the two together at the beginning of the row you then do 9 SC and then 3 in the next SC and after that it's 10 and then skip 2 and then 10 and 3 in the 11th SC until you get to the last 2 SC and you SC those together. Here is mine before it was just about done. I finished it at my friends and her little boy was getting it so she is going to spread it out and take a picture of it all done to the end for me. Mary

ripple002.jpg

ripple004.jpg

ACraftyLady - I just started that pattern and it really is easy, but all of a sudden ,I am on row 6 and I have to do 11 sc instead of 10 after a valley and before a mountain.

I frogged the row and redid it and I also counted my stitches in row 5 and all seems fine.

Any idea why, all of a sudden, an extra stitch is there?

hello, :D

you sound like me! I always get to a certain part of the pattern and then it doesn't turn out right. I ALWAYS end up tearing it out a few times...

and maybe a few times more and then I finally get it!

There's no shame in asking questions, it shows your intelligence! Instead of making the same mistakes over and over, you ask for help!

I hope your ripple blanket is coming out great!:cheer

I don't want to spend my life making granny squares. I do have attention deficit disorder and sometimes I get confused, but I have (believe it or not) made afghans in the past that were more complicated, but this is my first ripple.

I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks in advance!

It's not that I can't recognize a dc, it's that I can't figure out where to put the next stitch when I have to sc in a dc with skips between the dc's. The loops above are not exactly even with the dc below so I have a difficult time figuring out which one to go in to.

Also, I still don't know whether, after I've done dc, then skip next sc 7 times, and then it asks me to dc 5 times, do I start that first dc (of the five) in the NEXT spot or do I still skip from the first paren?

Not to be difficult, but maybe you should find a better/easier pattern. If you can't recognize a DC when all the stitches are DC then you need to spend more time learning how to crochet and becoming familiar with how things fit together.

There are lots of patterns out there that would let you make a nice afghan without having all these headaches.

regarding row 1 ...Quote.......... (dc in next sc, skip next sc) 7 times*....

if you do what the pattern says, you will find it does work out. I did this pattern and showed you that it works. I still think you are trying to run when you haven't learned to sit up yet.

Back away, give yourself some time. You can come back to this when you are more familiar and comfortable with crochet.

or you can just keep going and :bang

Archived