teaching kids

my 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter want to learn how to crochet. anyone have any tips on the best way to go about it? what kind of hooks should I start them off with? I admit not the best teacher, so any tips would be great.

i'm going through same thing. my 6 yr old son wants to learn. i've debating how and when i should teach him. first off, he is lefty i'm righty. and then his gets frustraited so easy. but i'd like to see what is best way to teach them.

My DS wanted to learn last winter, then decided it was too hard...maybe after we master shoe tying. however, based on what I learned from working with him, and a few other youngsters...forgo the slip knot at first. Start the knot for them, and show the chain...and let them go to town on it until they're sick of chains! (chains make bookmarks, can tie into bows (for hair, etc) made into shapes, glued onto paper... etc etc) and ask for more.

When they're confident with the chain, then it's easier to show them the slip knot (so "you can start your own, now") and then move on to sc etc.

Hope this helps. have fun with it!

While teaching my kids I bought them the RH acrylic hooks b/c they are cheap and they wouldn't be into mine and if they lost them it wouldn't be that big of a deal and if they lost interest in crocheting:( I wouuld have an extra cheap set just to leave in the car or at the lake or where ever. I also have been teaching them with RHSS yarn since it is about the cheapest yarn, most durable, can withstand lots of frogging and seems to be the most useful for kid type projects. Both the kids that I am teaching are right handed but when I was teaching adults at the college I had some left handed ppl and I found the best way to teach them is to sit across from them and crochet. It is like looking in a mirror and they can mimic what you are doing then. Good Luck!

yes, definitely get them their own hooks...either the boye aluminum or the plastic ones. (they're both cheap enuf) take em in to pick a color yarn (and maybe hook, sometimes you get to pick that color too!), make it a "big" trip if they're into adventures...my son was so proud he told all the clerks!...the SS's are good, I prefer Bernat's myself, but they're both sturdy. Also start with an extra large hook, as beginners tend to work very tight, (especially the younger ones, but I think all beginners do) I'd suggest a J hook or better. They're easier to hold for smaller hands, too.

Thanks guys.. I was wondering what size of hook to get, and i got them some plastic hooks, but I am having a hard time working with it, so I think I will just get them aluminum, since they glide better on the yarn.

• 2 weeks later...

It me a few years but my daughter finally got the hang of it. After several chains of varying lengths (longest 65 feet) she started with sc. She hated it and tried hdc & dc. She has made several scarves, squares, a placemat and has begun a king size granny square afghan. I have been designated as the joiner of squares.

She at first bought some plastic hooks b/c the colors were "so cool". I had given her a couple aluminum hooks but she hated them at first ("boring"). For her 15th birthday last week I gave her a full set of aluminum hooks. She won't touch the plastic anymore. The yarn moves better on aluminum.

As a little bonus I bought us each a light up hook. They cost about $8.00 but they are a lot of fun to use. My old eyes need extra light on dark yarns.

Sheryl

Where do you get the light up hooks? I never heard of them! I have a 3 yr old granddaughter who likes to 'help' Grammy crochet, any suggestions on how or what to start her with? Thanks!!

I've been teaching kids how to crochet at the summer camp I work for. My boss wants her daughter to learn, so she asked me to buy whatever was needed and I chose a size I aluminum hook (I prefer Susan Bates, so that's what I got) and some cotton yarn. I figured that we could start off with chains, and then maybe do a single crochet dishcloth or alternate between sc, dc, and hdc, depending on how fast she picks it up. Using basically the same stuff though most of the kids have been picking it up pretty well! I like the dishrag idea because she'll be able to see something that she's made come in handy!

I have taught kids for 2 years now at a summer school program. I had size I hooks (all colors and types) and bright yarns. I also had shoelaces (Hockey skate laces) to help them show how to do chain and a sc. The shoelace is big and the stitches show up, and they are easily ripped out. We work on just chain and sc, they end up making a pot holder, scarf, purse, what ever. This year I had kids come back to learn more stitches and how to read patterns. :hook

• 2 months later...

Also...they do make kids hooks. I bought some for my after care program. They're plastic and brightly colored and a little skinnier and maybe shorter than normal hooks. Perfect for little hands. :)

Archived