What's your FAVE place to crochet?

I originally posted this in another forum but someone said it'd do better here, so here I am! :P

I'm sick of crocheting on my couch, though I'm grateful my apartment is air conditioned and my couch is comfy. But I'd like to go somewhere, bring my knitting/crocheting, and join the world while I enjoy my favorite pastime. So I'd like to know...what are your favorite places to go and 'do your thing' outside your home?

Mostly I crochet on my couch, my bed, or my in laws couch. LOL

Have you tried going to a coffee shop, getting a favorite drink, and sitting back with your work? Many places (especially the very local) and some bookstores with coffee areas have music and poetry nights/days.

If you have a Joann's near you, they're having crochet and knitting groups. It costs $5 and you have to do their pattern, I think. But it's not in your home and you could meet friends.

How about the park if it's nice weather?

"Drive In" movies on lawn or whatever they're called in your town.

Search on line for things in your town. Get your local, not state, paper and pour through it. If your town has one of those off beat/underground type of papers, even better.

One of the towns near me has a free magazine that lists the events for the month.

You might be surprised by what you find.

i mainly crochet on my porch or at the inlaws in the back yard lately. but i found 2 local groups here:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lionbrand/charitySearch.cgi?type=club its the club finder on the lion brand site. i have made good friends by going to one! :hook hope that helps!

:hook sadly i love being on my couch, closest to my tv.:scrachin but sometimes if i don't have kiddos i will go to starbucks or barnes and noble, since no one minds if you sit and do nothing for hours. i have a habit lately of taking my crochet everywhere. i am always needing to work on something, ( right now its testing squares for an upcoming swap) and that worked great because i was at wal-mart for two hours today waiting for them not to fix my car ( story for another thread :eek ) and i had something to do at least.

Meet Up this is a great site too because you can type in your interest and the zip code and it gives you a group or groups that have formed. i found one in my local area.. going to have to give it a try.

Mostly I crochet on my couch, my bed, or my in laws couch. LOL

Have you tried going to a coffee shop, getting a favorite drink, and sitting back with your work? Many places (especially the very local) and some bookstores with coffee areas have music and poetry nights/days.

If you have a Joann's near you, they're having crochet and knitting groups. It costs $5 and you have to do their pattern, I think. But it's not in your home and you could meet friends.

How about the park if it's nice weather?

"Drive In" movies on lawn or whatever they're called in your town.

Search on line for things in your town. Get your local, not state, paper and pour through it. If your town has one of those off beat/underground type of papers, even better.

One of the towns near me has a free magazine that lists the events for the month.

You might be surprised by what you find.

Thank you so much for this. I think your ideas are great and I will start to seek out some information and cool places to work in public. :)

Meet Up this is a great site too because you can type in your interest and the zip code and it gives you a group or groups that have formed. i found one in my local area.. going to have to give it a try.

I just joined the group in my area...thanks for the great idea! I'd heard about Meetup actually but never did anything with it. It seems in looking over the 66 member profiles for my local knitting group, about 50 are inactive...so I wonder if anyone still attends the meetups or if they even take place. I've emailed the moderator asking just that, so we'll see.

You're welcome.

Your user name reminded me, I also crochet while my daughter is in ballet class and I'm sitting in the waiting area. :)

Yeah, that's a great place b/c it's not long enough to go anywhere and do something otherwise productive. And as a bonus, the other annoying moms won't talk to you. ha ha

I crochet in store lines, in the pew before and after church services, and during church meetings.

I have learned it keeps my stress level down and keeps me from freakin out when people are being particularly difficult just for the sake of being difficult. I also crochet on MEtro and a few times in Borders. I also crochet in restaurants while I am wating for my food. NiYa ;)

I mostly on my couch or recliner. Although I've been known to crochet everywhere....

My ultimate fav is on my deck in my bar height chair and table. This time of year it's hard as it gets too hot during the day. (the deck faces south) I get to see the beautiful pine tree filled mountains and it's just beautiful out there.:)

I mostly crochet in my chair in the family room, but I crochet anywhere. At my desk in the office is my second most productive spot believe it or not. My work fluctuates (sp?) so my boss has no problem with me crocheting as long as it doesn't get in the way and the customer never sees it. Easy.

I like to sit outside but right now it has been a little to hot and humid. My deck gets the afternoon sun so that is out!

Shelly Bean --thanks for the Meet Up--going to look it over -would be nice to share with an outside group--Thanks

Usually crochet in my compfy chair by the window and watch the birds make little gluttons of themselves at the feeder hehe-- Not a really a tv fan

I did alot of crocheting last weekend on a 2 hr (+/-) car trip. To and from my sisters, in the motel and every spare min. My family doesn't mind, they always ask "What are you making now", sometimes even before hello (LOL).

Ellie 13

My church has a prayer shawl ministry on Wed evenings, everyone works on the pattern they like and it is a nice way to meet others and chat away from hubbies, children, etc.

Archived