20 Square Afghan Sampler

jess315

I finally finished! been working on this around a year, took 4-5 months off because I got bored of it, then bought a house.

I chose all the stich patterns from Reader's Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet. 19 stiches are from the heavyweight patterns section. I only chose those with a drape classification of "good"

IMG_0916

yarn info: caron simply soft yarn, dark country blue and gray heather

hook info: size J, Boye aluminum

specs: 4.5 lbs, 54.5" x 77"

IMG_0917

closer sideways angle. i would make this again, but it either all one color in gray heather, oatmeal, denim blue, or all different more intense colors.

I would also change from a "J" hook down to "I" to slightly increase the weight and close up the stiches a bit more. as it is, most stitch patterns came out soft and with excellent drape.

IMG_0918

closeup of edging - single crochet rows, crab stich last row.

19 Stiches patterns used:

grit stitch 1

grit stitch 2

griddle

crumpled griddle

sedge stitch

aligned cobble

trinity stitch

interlocking shells

sedge stitch

sc cluster 1

sc cluster 3

sc cluster 4

single rib

sc cluster 2

crunch

wattle

diagonal shell

sidesaddle shell

silt stich

square 20 = my own sampler square made up of various stich combinations i noticed were getting the "heavyweight" classificaiton. it was freeform.

this is for my boyfriend who nagged me to make him one, nagged me to finish it, got tired of nagging me, decided it would never be finished. :) that is why the colors are "masculine". his tastes are quiet, so i chose mostly stiches with subtle texture. It will be his birthday gift this year.

Enjoy!

- J

thanks all! i know it's a little on the dull side...but it was a great learning experince for me. i think my crocheting got quite a bit faster towards the end, i learned that some of the stiches were fun, quick, and interesting to work up, while others were awkward or boring. i know i'll use the sedge, silt, and wattle again, and i picture the single rib in a man's oatmeal-colored scarf. working on this also made me starved to work on something colorful next. :)

Archived