Never ever try to crochet a chain

while watching a NASCAR race. I was starting a new project last night while watching the race and I had to start my chain over at least 5 times (maybe more) because I was counting and hearing in the background "look at the 24 making his move...or no their goes the 5" etc. Next thing I know my count got all messed up. :lol

I recently discovered the "No Chain Foundation Row" technique. I've been using it whenever it fits the pattern or project.

Basically, you create the foundation chain and the first row of sc (or hdc, dc, whatever) along with the chain. It creates a stretchy foundation row - I had always disliked the firm feel of the chain row.

It also makes it easier to count or recount your stitches, for me, at least.

Check it out at http://serendipity.gpvm.com/no_chain.html

Also known as the Double Base Chain. thanks so much for posting that crochet Dad, I've been trying to find the link for that page for a couple weeks now - you saved the day.

The biggest problem I have is that it seems everyone wants to talk at me while i'm counting.

• 3 weeks later...

Foundation chains....one of the necessary evils of crochet! Just like casting on in knitting. The advantage with crochet of course is that we don't have to bind off, just fasten off one stitch. :)

while watching a NASCAR race. I was starting a new project last night while watching the race and I had to start my chain over at least 5 times (maybe more) because I was counting and hearing in the background "look at the 24 making his move...or no their goes the 5" etc. Next thing I know my count got all messed up. :lol

:rofl Yup, been there, done that, tonight I was crocheitng and hubby had on a program talking abt NASCAR and I had a heck of a time, had to stop and recount. Oh well, it's all good when it comes to NASCAR and Football

Pam

Just yesterday I was sitting in the back of the car w/my husband and his best friend up front, I was counting stitches and they kept asking me if I knew what a certain road was called and got so upset thinking I was ignoring them. God forbid! haha

Archived