slip stitch = single crochet?

Barbie_gir-

Question

from the definitions that i read from the net, it seems to me that slip stitch and single crochet are the same stitches... Am I right?

If i'm wrong, please do tell me what i understood wrong and bear with me. i'm still a newbie in crochet.

10 answers to this question

Nope they are not the same thing.

A slip stitch is where you put your hook (with a stitch already on it) through the stitch, yarn over, pull through the stitch and the loop already on your hook.

A single is where you put your (with a stitch already on it) through the stitch, yarn over, pull through the stitch, stop, yarn over, pull through both loops.

Maybe this will help.

Slip stitch:

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=18

http://www.crochetkitten.com/tutorials/slst.html

Single crochet:

http://www.crochetkitten.com/tutorials/sc.html

:)

I think where you got confused is when looking at british and american terms. An american slip stitch is called a british single crochet. So in that respect they are the same when talking about the conversions between the 2 crochet terms.

:cheer Laughlovehook:cheer

:think Sorry to add to the confusion but a SC does not exist in British/European patterns. (Well, not in the 50 squillion years I have been reading patterns)

A SC is the invention of the American crocheter and is a DC in British/European patterns.

A Slip Stitch is the same in both US & Brithsh/European.

I have norticed this confusion arises often and it seems to happen when individuals write patterns rather than in commercial patterns.

:hook In British/European patterns, a Slip Stitch was normally used to join at the end of the row, anchor a stitch or to get your hook to the correct place on the next row without breaking the yarn.

Hope this does not confuse the issue too much more.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Nearest book to my computer (Eckman's Answer book) lists the US slip stitch as the UK single crochet. I've seen other references as the US chain stitch being the UK single crochet (the patterns on one website start with 'crochet 100 stitches' as the foundation). I've seen one slip stitch being a slip stitch, but more than three being called a running stitch.

I'd imagine that there are a few differences between UK and Austraila terms, not as many as between the US and UK, just as there are some differences in the English language between the three countries.

I wonder if there are similar crochet term differences in the various countries where a common language has usage differences (Spanish, French, etc).

I'm not sure I even want to know if this kind of problem exists with knitting - I'm having enough trouble leaning it as it is LOL

I have to agree with Aggie May, that sc does not exist in UK crochet terms . I, too have been reading British crochet publications for decades, and there is no sc in them. In fact, the presence of the term "sc" is the easiest way of identifying it as a US pattern.

Archived