1. 1. So, follow patterns exactly?

• Yes, often.
    • No, not usually.
    • It's somewhere in the middle.
    • I don't use patterns.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a doily or lace I follow the pattern a few rows to see the general idea, and then I mostly get the creativity bug and try my own ideas.

Otherwise I look at the pattern to see what they think and then work on as I want to.

I almost always change the yarn and the yarn colors... I think a lot of people do that. As for stitches, it depends on the project. If it's something like a sweater or a top, I usually do what I'm told to do. If it's a toy or an afghan, I'll change sc's to dc's sometimes just to get a bigger end result.

I alter yarn patterns all of the time. I have gone so far off the pattern with yarn, that I actually created a new pattern. Thread is a different story. 95% of the time I will follow a doily pattern exactly unless it is to tight in places and puckering. Only then I will add a few additional stitches or chains to make it lay nicer.

It really depends on what it is. Childrens' clothing and doll clothes sometimes need very little change to get them perfect for me.

As for afghans and other things, I never make them exact. Always changing the border, and putting other decorative accents to it to get it just the way I want it.

That's just me.

:manyheart

I am another one on here who will follow the pattern pretty much perfectly (except yarn or hook size, depending on gague) the first go around, then from there, if I want to change it up I will, and do. :) I really hit a wall though, because a few years ago, I was too scared to try something new, and would read the patterns and follow them word for word. Being a little less specific sure has made crocheting a lot less stressful lol. :) Great poll!

Archived