Do You Follow Patterns To The Letter?

So, follow patterns exactly?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. So, follow patterns exactly?

• Yes, often.
    • No, not usually.
    • It's somewhere in the middle.
    • I don't use patterns.

I was wondering if most people tend to do exactly as the pattern says, or if they change it around a lot?

I was wondering because I'm working on this afghan and so far I've changed the type of the yarn, used different colors and different numbers, and decided I only liked two of the squares, so I am only using two and I organized a placement pattern to use instead. I'm also considering changing how thick the border between the stripes is, but I'm not sure I want to use that much more yarn, so I think I'll let that be.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it really depends, if it's a doily, yes, I follow the pattern exactly. For most things I've made lately I haven't used patterns. I've never made anything with sleeves so I would like to follow some patterns for that but once I get that down I will probably never follow a pattern for a wearable again!

ok so i don;t know how to vote in this one. i follow the patter as to the stitches only. other wise i pick my own yarn and hook size! that i never follow the directions!

I'm not too good at creating from scratch, I have to have explicit instructions. I will change a pattern once in a blue moon, but usually very slightly.:hook

Well, it really depends, if it's a doily, yes, I follow the pattern exactly. For most things I've made lately I haven't used patterns. I've never made anything with sleeves so I would like to follow some patterns for that but once I get that down I will probably never follow a pattern for a wearable again!

the cupcake top in SNB has the most adorable little cap sleeves...in case you were still looking.

i follow the patterns mostly, except for the yarn and hook like everyone else. sometimes i'll make a top longer, or a dress a tiny bit shorter, or use dc instead of tr. it all depends on the piece. as far as afghans go, i make them however i please.

I follow some patterns to the letter, if it's something I like (well, except yarn and maybe hook depending on the yarn I choose, but I don't really concider that a change...)

I'll often start out exactly and then by the end of something, changed it compleatly. I often change the color changes, number of colors, size or number of repeats etc. (With clothing, I have to... I'm a bit fluffier than most pattern are made for..)

I am generally willing to follow patterns but more often than not I change something.

Sometimes the pattern has an error and I have to go with what works.

Sometimes, I like the pattern stitch but not the style so I use the stitch for whatever I want.

Sometimes i make it all up as I go along. I design things other than just doll clothes so I don't alway have a pattern

I really am all over the place.

I'll follow the pattern, but not to a tee. I'll change the yarn if I want something different, as well as the hook size, and sometimes even the stitches depending on what it is. Some patterns are great just as they are...others need some tweaking.

The first time definitely, the second or third..nope, gotta play with it tweek it a bit...I could never leave well enough alone..lol

I use free patterns from the internet and expect to find mistakes here and there.

I'm going through a tank top phase. When making one for myself, I like to customize it. Sometimes I make the gauge bigger. If it's worked in front/back panel I'll switch it to the round for sizing, less visible seams and to eliminate finishing work. The one I'm working now has a yoke. I lowered the neckline and turned the yoke into straps.

yes, especially when I was first learning; however, sometimes you, the crocheter, know best.....sometimes there is an error in the pattern and you have to frog and figure it out to correct it; sometimes you've made the pattern a few times and are confident enough to change it....but most of the time, I follow the pattern. Sometimes the change is only a different weight yarn and hook, so long as the size of the completed item doesn't really matter. Donna C

I go with every intention on following a pattern but I can only thing of one that I followed completely. Generally I just make small changes like the size of a border or number of rows, decreases, or increases.

Sometimes I follow the pattern exactly, sometimes not. I'm finishing up a baby afghan right now that I've changed. I didn't like the way the designer did the corners. Either I was working them wrong or they just looked weird. So, I did them in a manner that was more traditional and more normal for me. The look the same, but they aren't what the designer specified.

One of my UFOs is the Hollywood Halter from Crochet magazine. On the straps, no matter what I did, they curled, so I reworked the pattern to eliminate the single crochet decreases. It's my first wearable (besides scarves and shawls) and it drove me nuts.

I must confess.........I can't help myself.......I have changed most patterns.....either the colour, yarn type, size or all three.......

Most times it works out but I do get the odd project where I look at it and think.......hhhuummmm.........what is that!!!

I'm sure it takes me a lot longer to complete projects but hey......I just love crocheting, so I'm cool with that. :):hook

The first time I use a pattern, I am more likely to follow it to the letter. If it's a very simple pattern, I'm more likely to change it the first time to suit me. There's always something I want to change to show my personal touch or taste on a later version.

If I really like the way a pattern looks, I'll follow it to the letter. Most often, though, I'll change something to suit me, whether it be the yarn, the pattern stitch or even the style of the pattern. I have designed one outfit for a baby without a pattern, but that doesn't happen often.

For wearables or anything out of yarn, more than likely no. For thread if I'm making a particular doily then yes although lately I've been designing alot so no pattern.

What can I say? I am a rebel....a lot of times the picture and the pattern don't jibe and I try to wing it. this comes from being an experienced crocheter. Just like Frankie, I do it my way...

Lorry

I like to create intricate doilies and filet patterns so I need to follow graphs and patterns. This doesn't mean I won't stray to "improve" one at times. But I do like to give the pattern developer my honest effort the first time.

Also, especially when following "ancient" patterns from the teens, twenties and thirties there are times when the instructions just plain make no sense ... but I always try them and often realize near the end of the instruction that it all turns out just the way it should because they went about some maneuvers in a different way from the way do it now.

(guess my mother and grandmother's admonishments finally took root!)

Archived