Do You Follow Patterns To The Letter?

So, follow patterns exactly?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. So, follow patterns exactly?

• Yes, often.
    • No, not usually.
    • It's somewhere in the middle.
    • I don't use patterns.

I follow the pattern to a point, and then I go and do my own edgings, add-on's etc. The patterns are like a starting point for me.

:manyheart

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I usually follow the pattern the first time I make something. Then I feel free to change it up.

I second that! :hook

That being said, I have yet to follow exact directions for yarn color and type. Some times I even go for a different hook size.

If I like the pattern as a whole, yes I follow it. I use stitch and motif patterns most of the time. I hardly ever use the colors/hooks listed. If I get a pattern off the net and it's 3 (+) pages, I edit it. When I rephrase things, I get it onto 1 or 2 pages (I keep the designer/copyright info). Mostly I design my own stuff.

Ellie 13

I usually start out following the pattern the first time I make something, but the next one might be a little different. I have been known to use more than one pattern to make something.

I'm horrendous about this...I look at a pattern and right off the bat, I hate the color ("If this was only in purple..."). Then, I usually don't like the size ("If this were only longer/shorter..."). If it's a wearable, I usually have to adjust up a lot if I'm making it for one of my plus-size friends, as most patterns seem to assume everyone is a size 4.

Sometimes you have to adjust period because there is an error in the pattern. I've found quite a few with the 63 Cable Stitches Afghan.

I follow the pattern the first time because I can't see in my head what the item will actually look like until I try it myself. But when it comes to yarn, I usually only go by the size then choose my own colors.

It's hard to completely follow a pattern. I'm always wanting to make afghans bigger or some things smaller (purses for example). There are just so many things that are pretty easy to change!:)

I voted somewhere in the middle. I too change yarn types and hooks. I'm a little pattern reading challenged, so sometimes I just fake it if I'm close...lol. Other times I have no problem and can follow them easily. I like smaller projects and make up my own "designs" (if you can call them that...lol) on purses, scarves, even squares... but don't really have the talent to wing it on my more than that.

I voted that I often follow patterns...especially for doilies that is true. A lot of times, like making an afghan, I don't use a pattern at all but just use stitches I like. I also make things up, like hats.

I think of myself as following the pattern for the squiggly hot pad, because I am using the suggested pattern for the ruffles. But the original pattern calls for rug yarn and I used thread.

I have probably never made anything with the exact yarn/thread, color, and hook size suggested...unless it was a white doily:lol

• 9 months later...

I voted somewhere in the middle. I usually will follow a pattern the first time I make it, but I do change the yarn and hooks size sometimes. Once I have a pattern down pat, it is out the window and I am adding things, making changes and adding my own little touch to it. :hook

I don't think I've ever followed a pattern exactly as written. Maybe close to it, but I always end up changing something, be it yarn, hook size, or just making something in a different size. I prefer working things I've made up anyways. I seem to finish them faster.

Beyond color changes, which don't really count as pattern changes, IMHO...

With doilies, I follow them as written...I'm not sufficiently skilled in that arena to make changes...beyond color or size of thread, etc. that is.

With a new pattern, like the pajama bear I'm working on, I may follow it fairly closely, but I write changes all over it (like cat3crazy said earlier).

Sometimes I create my own thing, and then of course, I'm not following any patterns :lol

Some patterns are relatively basic, they practically beg for alterations/additions.

I voted 'yes,' but that is because there are many things that I do different when following a pattern that I don't really consider to be changing the pattern. I don't think I have ever used the exact specified yarn for a project. Has anyone? I also usually make other tiny changes such as adding a border to an afghan that doesn't call for one. I don't really consider that (or using different hook sizes, yarn, etc.) changing a pattern as long as you are following the same stitches, and I don't think I've ever done that except where specified for sizing.

I definitely follow the pattern exactly, and use the crochet hook recommended on the yarn I choose. I'm a fraidy cat when it comes to stepping outside the pattern.

I don't always follow a pattern directly. I have to adjust, usually hook size, simply because my guage won't turn out right. If it calls for a G or I hook, I normally have to use an H. I also am guilty of changing the yarn type or I will make something bigger/smaller than what is called for.

I'm another "middle" person. I rarely use the same color of yarn and I crochet too tight for the hook that's recommended. I did a vest the other day that I followed exactly - and then hated how short it turned out. I'm redoing it with more stitches, a different type of yarn, and different hook.

I agree with TexasHooker, using different colors or hook sizes is not considered changing a pattern, IMO. So yes, I would say I follow the pattern usually. I don't usually change the stitch pattern, though, and I have often found mistakes that I correct as I go, especially in the beginning chain or at the ends of rows.

Changing the yarn isn't really not following either, because I often don't have the same yarn that is listed, but do have a yarn that is comparable, and the same weight and thickness. For instance, I am making a top that calls for RH Plush... but TLC Essentials is so close to it, I'm using that instead, and the gauge is perfect.

Years ago, I remember that I was making a sweater and the pattern was pretty difficult, so I changed it up a little, and it came out better than the picture.

I don't think I've ever made anything with the specified yarn as my patterns are either old ones where you just can't get the stuff anymore or new ones from USA pattern books and most of the yarns used aren't available over here and I also have to figure it into my very tight budget :)

My gauge is never "right" so hooks get switched too, colours I guess are a personal preference and I don't think it counts as not following the pattern ;)

I don't fret if my stitch count is out either.

I don't make vast changes though, if it's a shell stitch top I'm following then it's a shell stitch top when I'm finished, it might be longer or shorter or have a different edging but it will be along the lines of what the pattern book depicts

Archived