I be Fulling! Handbag is DONE!!!

Frangipani

UPDATE!! I finished the bag. Go check out in show & tell or here are the links of 1.before 2. after showing shrinkage 3. finished product.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/bellascreations/IMG_4418.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/bellascreations/360x480_IMG4420.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/bellascreations/IMG_4432.jpg

I hope you like it!

Hi all! I have worked up a gorgeous bag and plan to full it tonight!! :clap

I have done my research and read about the process but I do have one question. It's not quite clear to me at what point or how much vinegar/soap I should use and at what point I do it. I know people do it differently but am looking for advice.

I plan to full it in my top loading washing machine with some tennis balls.

Thanks!!!

Bec

Cheers Beth. I knew you'd be able to help me. I'm pretty excited!! So I'll chuck it in with HOT water, soap,vinegar and tennis balls and let it fly then. I guess I'll do a cup of vinegar and a squirt of soap and hope for the best. If I should do it any different, let me know.

Thank!!! :hug

Bec

Be sure to post pictures when you are done! :clap I can't wait to see what you come up with! :hook

Okie dokie! So, the bag came out great. It's drying right now so pics to come. I had to do it twice because on the first run through the wash, someone heard the tennis balls in the wash and stopped my cycle. LOSERS!! Guess they didn't know I was creating! Anyway, after the second wash I was super happy with the size, texture, sturdines! YAY!

Thanks for all the help for my first fulling! I'm excited to do more. :clap

Bec

• 5 weeks later...

I absolutely love your bag. What a great job. So what kind of detergent do you use, or does it matter? I'm curious to know what pattern you used also.

I'm still awaiting my first felting project, for the right yarn and the right pattern. I"m really anxious to try it.

Thanks! Kris and Joanne, I actually didn't use a pattern. I just made it up myself and hoped for the best!! But basically I started with a Ch 45 and worked it in single crochet and increased at each end of the bag for the first 7-8 rows, then just continued going around and around and around until I thought it was big/tall enough.

From what I leave learned/read, each method is different on how to wash the piece. I used:

• HOT water
  • a squirt of dishwashing liquid
  • a cup of vinagar
  • 2 tennis balls and 2 hard plastic toys

I'd like to make another one with some gorgeous New Zealand wool someone gifted me with! Next time I shall write it down!

Bec :hook

Bec,

Congrats on the purse, it rocks! I have a question if I may, Did you leave "holes" by skipping stitches in the purse to string the handles through? And also did you string the handles after you washed it or before. I have bought the wool to make a bag....I just need to take a breath and get to work! You have inspired me!;)

Thanks,

Lyn in NH

Lyn, Yes I did as a matter of fact. towards the top I just did a chain 2 and skipped two stitches (4 times total) around the bag, then worked another 3 or 4 rows normally. I poked the handles through after the washing as I wasn't sure what would happen if I left them in the bag during the process(they were'nt too hard to find afterwards). I'm pretty happy with the result, I use the bag all the time and get oodles of compliemnts!! :D

• 1 year later...

Archived