Need eyes please

crochet smartcat

Question

I have altered an existing pattern to create this cat hat but am having extreme difficulty creating the eyes for it. The existing pattern is for yarn stitched eyes, and I was hoping to do something like that for this one.

cathat.jpg

It is intended for young children and so I don't want something that will easily fall off, but the lock washer eyes that I've seen all have the posts that stick out in the back. Won't work. Buttons are expensive these days and I really wanted something that looked more real than button eyes. Felt has been suggested but I want these to be washable and am not sure of the durability of felt. Any suggestions??

8 answers to this question

Why not do some eyes with black yarn and 'cross stitch' then on? Or crochet some eyes with green & black yarn then stitch them on? :cat

Oh, that's a great idea Alisha! And maybe to make them oval cat eyes, there could be a circle for the iris on top of an oval (what I'd probably try for the oval would be ch2, sc in the 2nd chain, ch1, turn, 2 sc in the 1 sc from the previous row, etc, with increases at the ends, until the middle then start doing decreases. I didn't actually stitch that up but it sounds like it would work...)

Archived