1 strand or 2 strands?

LadyTwilyte

Question

9 answers to this question

Keep in mind that this yarn is going to stretch. If you line it, you could probably get away with one strand for the body of the bag, but if it's unlined, you may want to use two. Either way, you'll need to use two for the straps to minimize stretch due to the weight of the contents. You would probably have better luck using cotton yarn.

Keep in mind that this yarn is going to stretch. If you line it, you could probably get away with one strand for the body of the bag, but if it's unlined, you may want to use two. Either way, you'll need to use two for the straps to minimize stretch due to the weight of the contents. You would probably have better luck using cotton yarn.

Wow, this is a conundrum. I really doubt I'll be putting anything heavier than a water bottle in it. I guess I'll wait for other replies.

Hun, Homespun is not a strong enough yarn for a backpack.

That's what you think. And don't call me hun.

Debbi: I'll try making a swatch. My stitches are naturally tight so I'll have no problem there. I really want the stitches to be invisible so I'm a bit unsure whether to crochet with one strand of Homespun and another strand of RH.

Maybe you can use wool as the second strand, then felt it. You'd have to make the backpack larger than you want the final product. But only a bomb would destroy something like that!

LadyTwilyte,

For a rucksack, I would use either jute or hemp. I made a document bag out of jute in 1995 and my daughters use it at Renaissance Faires. The bag has withstood many hours of abuse and hard use. I also made a diaper bag using Red Heart No Dye Lot (Hunter Green and Black). The diaper bag was all single crochet (I think I used a "G" or "I" hook) and all of the external pockets "bottle pockets" for formula and baby food were Double crochet. 12 years later my daughters still use that bag for sleep-overs.

I hope this is helpful. By the way the shoulder straps for each bag I made using SC and the webbing effect worked fine.

Lots of Luck

Terry

That's what you think. And don't call me hun.

Oh dear... did we get out of the wrong side of the bed today? :grump

Most people here at the Ville don't take offense when others try to help them.

I have used homespun and hdc for a baby blanket. My stiches are usually very tight but I loosened them for this project. I think Homespun is very thick. And using a sc will halp make it thicker. I also think maybe the same color worsted yarn with it...

You say that you are not going to be putting anything heavy in it, so I don't see why the homespun itself wouldn't work.

:think Anymore confused???

Oh dear... did we get out of the wrong side of the bed today? :grump

Most people here at the Ville don't take offense when others try to help them.

I just hate it when people call me "hun". I'm not a little kid anymore. Saying I can't use Homespun isn't what I consider help.

Thanks, LittleJadeFrog.

Archived