Tunisian Hooks

auntbubbels

Question

I received a great kit today and am now trying out the scarf pattern.

Question that I have is how come there is such a long thin plastic piece hanging off the hook? What is that for?

Also the pattern calls for 160 chains - when working on the first row, are they all supposed to fit on the hook? Its getting tight

8 answers to this question

I think that long plastic piece is room to slide your work onto. I have a double ended one that looks like circular knitting needles but with crochet hooks at either end. Can't figure out what the heck you do with 2 hooks. I found it difficult to work with so I am using just a regular long tunisian hook - still - wouldn't be enough room on there for 160 chains.

Hmmm.....

you got the afghan cable hooks it sounds like the cable is there to hold the stitches i found it ackward when using it since you really have no control over the cable and it tends to wobble so to say but thats what its for is to slide the stitches down and onto it so you dont have to cram them all on the hook.

If the cable part is curling and you want it to stop boil a pot of water and stick it in there for about a minute or so and it should straighten out. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I also have the double ended one that I think is for cronit but I have yet to use it.

I think that long plastic piece is room to slide your work onto. I have a double ended one that looks like circular knitting needles but with crochet hooks at either end. Can't figure out what the heck you do with 2 hooks. I found it difficult to work with so I am using just a regular long tunisian hook - still - wouldn't be enough room on there for 160 chains.

Hmmm.....

I just bought myself a double-ended hook (altho I bought the wrong one and needed the cabled one like you're talking about) and it's for the reversible cronit/crohook/crochet-on-the-double patterns. Here is a link to how to use that hook. I found it a little wierd at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. :)

I have used the extended hook with the plastic extension and didnt do well. I just ordered an afghan hook from Moez. It comes in two lengths. I ordered the longer hook at 18" long. I have not found those in stores. I believe the shorter afghan hooks can hold up to 100 stitches but it is tight. I think Moez also carries double ended hooks as well. They are not cheap and take about a week or so to get. I am going to start an afghan that needs 140 stitches. I'll let you know how it works.

Debbie

uwcheese

the tail is mainly used for when you want to stop crocheting for a while. you slide the work onto the cable and if you happen to not crochet for a couple of days, when you slide the sts back on to the hook, there is no trace from where you stopped and started.

Archived