pattern help

noQcrocheter

Question

15 answers to this question

Can you give me a better idea of where the problem lies?

if you do exactly as it says, it will work out.

Are the abbreviations getting in the way of understanding this?

Many members here have said that they find it helpful to write out the pattern in full words so that they can understand it better,

It does help if you are familiar with the Bargello technique from needlepoint as the pattern produces the same "bump" effect. I did a quick try yesterday and will redo it (and get a pic) so that you can see what it looks like.

You could try picking a simpler pattern and practice working from patterns before trying this one again.

I would recommend this idea as well.

it is not that complicated really but it is tricky to see it

Ah the dreaded straight Ripple. :rofl

Sorry, that is sort of an in joke. Many of us like the look of Ripples but we don't like to make them. Enjoy and it should go very quickly with 2 strands.

I love ripples. I don't get why people don't understand them because if you just follow the pattern it works. If you have never made a ripple before when you use that yarn you are going to have to make sure to count your stitches good as they can sometimes be hard to see with that yarn. If you want a really easy ripple using two strands of worsted weight and a P hook try this one. I have one half done and it goes so quick and easy. I am doing mine with white and a few shades of blue and it will be for a toddler bed. Mary

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17132&highlight=white+ripple+afghan

it seems that most of us who don't like them have done them... I'm not sure what it is about them but they drive me nuts. :grump

(Speaking only for myself of course)

Now there is a Victorian Ripple (Maggie Weldon) that I may undertake to help a friend. It is very pretty and might be different enough to get past my gag factor :yes

I learned one in class using a G hook and at first I was very confused which is not unusual for me but then something clicked and I got it. The one I posted is so easy and would be a great project for someone wanting to learn a ripple for the first time and it goes so fast to see progress. Mary

:thinkWhy not improvise and just chain the amount needed and then do the peeks and valleys where you want and how you want for instance, do a peek that is upward 15 sc sts, sc 3xs in the next st and then sc downward 8 sk next 2 sc sts.

:scrachin As I said do your own peeks and valleys just to break up the monotony of the typical or dreaded standard ripple. Maybe use your choice of colors like hot pink next to a dark purple or whatever you want because I find that sometimes I don't like the colors that are chosen.:blush

:thinkWhy not improvise and just chain the amount needed and then do the peeks and valleys where you want and how you want for instance, do a peek that is upward 15 sc sts, sc 3xs in the next st and then sc downward 8 sk next 2 sc sts.

:scrachin As I said do your own peeks and valleys just to break up the monotony of the typical or dreaded standard ripple. Maybe use your choice of colors like hot pink next to a dark purple or whatever you want because I find that sometimes I don't like the colors that are chosen.:blush

that sounds like a good idea, I would have picked my own colors anyway, I have them allready I got them on clearnce ($1 each skein at walmart I have 3 of each one)

I have cobalt, which I am pairing with a purpley blue ww

williamsburg whcih I am pairing with country blue ww

and deco which I am pairing withh off white

Archived