bobbins!!! UGH!

You know I just have to rant a bit. I have had the yarns for another graphghan for my son (his other one I gave to one of his friends whose home burned down it was their school mascot) Well anyway.............. I have put this off and put this off ONLY because I HATE DETEST CANNOT STAND to wind the bobbins! Afghans are really not my thing but I do like the graphed ones for some unknown reason. So tonight as I sat and winded ONE whole bobbin :rofl I fussed the WHOLE time cause I jusst can't stand that part of it. And I only did one causes I am just on the lettering. How many more I will have to wind and rewind I just don't even want to think about that! And it is only me home for 2 more weeks so I can't even ask someone else to do it for me. :rofl bribery at its best huh?

Oh and went to bath and body works for their summer sale yesterday and they have their tote bags on sale also. I got one the is H-U-G-E for $10 (was a $45 bag) but it is denim and will be great for a wip bag. So I thought I would share that tidibt as I was ranting. :)

Anyhoo back to the bobbin thing does anyone else hate to wind those buggers as much as I do?

I'm with you - I hate winding the bobbins too! I'm through the R and part of the mane in the Denver Bronco's logo for a graphgan and I'm going so slow on it because the bobbins are a pain! I've put it down for now and am making my DS an afghan in the colors only because there is no way I'd get this thing done by his birthday . . . . . and I don't even have any kidlets in the house to bribe!!!! The youngest child is 27 and the grand kids are either too young (3 months) or too "cool" (16) and when they are over I'm not crocheting anyway . . . .

:eek Ug,,Yeah, I'm with you.

I used to fight those puppies,too!!! What a pain!!

Ever thought of this??

http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/pullskein.html

And a bobby pin is what I use,, just pull some out secure with the pin and off ya go. When it's fuller you don't even need the pin. Nothing to fiddle with except the yarn.

Good luck,, :hug Can't wait to see your finished afghan!!

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but here goes...I have signed on to be a part of the tunisian stitch CAL and I have never done this type of crochet before. Do you have to wind the yarn on bobbins? I don't really get the whole thing yet...maybe I should just opt out of this one? HELP!!!! Where do you find this bobbins at?

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but here goes...I have signed on to be a part of the tunisian stitch CAL and I have never done this type of crochet before. Do you have to wind the yarn on bobbins? I don't really get the whole thing yet...maybe I should just opt out of this one? HELP!!!! Where do you find this bobbins at?

You don't have to wind the yarn on bobbins for a tunisian (afghan) stitch afghan unless you're doing a graph afghan. Bobbins may make it easier to carry the different colors used in a graph afghan - just have to be careful to try to keep the bobbins from tangling up. *LOL*

For more information about bobbins, try this page at my site:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/hints2_b.html#bobbins

There are lots of different kinds of bobbins that you can buy and/or make. My page does include a picture of some of the different bobbins you can find/buy. There's also hints/helps for some bobbin substitutes on the page.

If you have never used bobbins before, I think the trick is to find the bobbin(s) (or bobbin substitute) that you like the best and that works the best way for you.

HTH!

I'm using bobbins for the 2 graphgans I'm working on right now. I don't really mind the winding because it gives my hands needed breaks from crocheting, but what I hate is them getting all tangled up together. I'm doing a ghan right now I thought would be fairly easy, but I didn't realize the main character (Eeyore) was completely outlined in black. So now I have 1 sc completely around the border. I thought I might try the pull through skein because I used to use them long ago when I did macrame, but I had forgotten how to do them. Thanks for the link.

Thanks Cinnaminn for the info! Yes the first project that I will be attempting is a graph afghan pattern. I got some info on changing colors but I haven't attempted it yet! I will need to do a practice swatch first!

I have done a ton a graphgans and I have never wound a bobbin. I didn't even know you should/could. I usually just use skeins of yarn and for smaller amounts I just quick do up a small ball. It seems that no matter what you use it all gets tangled up sooner or later anyway. I like to use small balls of color because they get used up a little quicker and it saves on the tangling.

I like the bobbins cause when you are done with that color for a bit you can stop it from unraveling. I am careful about the tangling cause that just drives me crazy. It is just winding of them that really bugs me.

i think i may be the only one who does not use bobbins i make small balls of the color i am using and store them in a bag or bin do a few rows untangle them and do a few more etc.. until the ghan is done it seems to work fine for me.

Wow Ladies:

I'm Lillibet the host of the tunisian stitch/aka/ afghan stitch CAL and well It seems that some of you ladies sgould be over on joining my CAL which begins july 15th..

I tell you one thing my first ghan i did winding the balls and that kept tangling up on me... It drove me nuts..

Bobbins is the thing for me... Yes it is.... I love it cause i can just bring then as close as i can to the row i'm working on and i get no tangles what so ever...

Winding is the question, well I must say that its not my favortite thing but it does give me a break in between crocheting so i can just sit and wind bobbins and relax..

So I think different strokes for different folks..

As long as we are comfortable and have a system that is what really matters.

Well i hope to see many of you over at the cal. Come and join on the fun and rant your frustrations there...

Archived