Rug Yarn?

AnjyB

Question

I want to make a panhandle pad, or hot pad for my cast iron skillets in our camper. I've heard that the best yarn to use for this is Rug yarn? agree dissagree? I looked the other day for rug yarn at Wal-Mart but didn't find anything. Never heard of it so if someone could tell me what I'm looking for that might help. Thanks guys.:manyheart

13 answers to this question

Please use 100% cotton yarn for handle pads for your cast iron skillets. Any acrylic can melt to the handle and/or your hand in use. You can find kitchen cotton at Walmart, Joann's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.

I haven't seen rug yarn in years - though I haven't really been looking for it either. I use 2 strands of worsted for rugs.

But What is rug yarn made of?

I was thinking 2 strands of cotton together would be best or even 3 strands.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe rug yarn is just outdated and the cotton IS the best way to go. It certainly is easier to find, that's for sure. Cept I have a hard time finding the colors I want in anything and am ready to start ordering on-line.

Thanks everyone!

Please use 100% cotton yarn for handle pads for your cast iron skillets. Any acrylic can melt to the handle and/or your hand in use.

I've heard a couple of people say this, but I have a hard time believing that it's true. All of my favorite potholders and trivets are made from acrylic and I haven't had any trouble with them. How hot would it have to be for the acrylic to start melting?

I'd hate to be skeptical and then have an acrylic potholder melt on my hand. :scared At the same time, I have a ton of acrylic yarn (gifts) and no cotton, and I really don't have the storage space or money to start buying cotton if I don't need to.

Any additional information on this would be appreciated. If my acrylic potholders are a danger, I need to get rid of them. :worried

~ Joy

I've heard of acrylic catching actual *flame* - not just melting - so yeah, I too suggest you should go with the cotton just in case. :eek I think another big issue is that accidents can happen, not just so much the potholder melting while you're taking something out of the oven, though over time they might get smooshy...

The rug yarns I have, that came buried in some yard sale stashes, is all big fat rough acrylic. I've seen rug yarn for sale at Hobby Lobby.

Aunt Lydia's rug yarn by Caron is being discontinued however they are coming out with a new acrylic rug yarn. I have worked with Aunt Lydias before and it is very scratchy and hard on the hands. I would agree with the others and go with the cotton yarns there are so many pretty colors available :hook

WOW! Ok. I appreciate all your input and I won't bother with the rug yarn, especially on Cast Iron as it will be used on the fire pit over open flame, I'm sticking to the cotton.

Thanks so much everyone, you've truely been a huge help! :hug

:( No kiss smiley's? Not one? Ok well imaginary Kisses to you all then!

The rug yarns I have, that came buried in some yard sale stashes, is all big fat rough acrylic. I've seen rug yarn for sale at Hobby Lobby.

I stand corrected: the rug yarn at HL I saw today was polyester. Still flammable!

And still scratchy. :lol

I had an acrylic pot holder melt to a cast iron skillet (camping), luckily I was fast enough that when I felt how hot it was I dropped it and didn't burn my hand, but it was heck getting off the handle and the fire roared when the fat from the burgers hit it.

I've also had one melt on a burner that a friend didn't realize was on. The cotton may catch fire on an open burner, and a lot of time, but they don't melt! NEVER anything but 100% cotton for me for potholders.

Shoot. :worried I really loved those potholders, and I just made up a new set two months ago. The only thing I can do with them now is frog them and recycle the yarn - I can't really give someone else dangerous potholders.

:worried :worried ~ Joy

Archived