Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

Welcome to the Feet Need Socks Crochet-Along! Jess (xantha) is now the host for this CAL. :)

-----------------------

Here's the button, which you can put on your blog or web site. Link it to the Feet Need Socks page; the address is http://www.fiberfetishist.com/fns/

If you want to join, please post in this thread or e-mail jess[at]fiberfetishist[dot]removemecom to be added to the list of participants. Then all you have to do is crochet a pair of socks. Use any yarn you want, any pattern you want, and finish whenever you want.

feetneedsocks.gif

When you are finished, please post a photo in this thread or send it to Jess for the Feet Need Socks Gallery if you can. :cheer

-----------------------

Here are some free sock patterns as well as booklets/books you can buy. I always like to check eBay because they often have good prices there. Please let us know if you have any links to add.

Free Patterns Online:

(yarn weight called for in pattern is listed in parentheses)

South Bay Crochet: Toes Up Socks (any weight)

Grafton Fibers: Toe-Up Crocheted Socks (any weight)

From the Crocheted Socks! booklet: Easy Does It (sock yarn)

Crochet me: In Your Shoes Ankle Socks (sock or fingering)

Sue's CrochetAndKnitting.com: Crocheted Socks (worsted)

Sue's CrochetAndKnitting.com: Crocheted Socks for Men (worsted)

Sue's CrochetAndKnitting.com: Design Your Own Socks Pattern (worsted)

Crochet 'N' More: Socks (Child Size 9) (sport)

Planet Shoup: Peach Ankle Socks (DK or sport)

Planet Shoup: Ribbed Socks (DK or sport)

Lion Brand: Crocheted Cottage Socks (thick or chunky)

Lion Brand: Joan's Socks (worsted)

StarGazer: Crocheted Ripple Socks (worsted)

Granny's Garret: Crocheted Baby Socks (note: this is a pdf file) (sport)

Booklets/Books:

Crocheted Socks!

Stocking Feet

Learn to Crochet Socks

Comfy Cozy Socks

Love Those Socks!

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet has one sock pattern, Button-Top Socks.

-----------------------

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg thats so cool... I just found a pattern for socks this mornin I thought I would try

Looks like I 'm in too! :woohoo

EDIT- That was the worng link lol

Here's the right one:bang :o

www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin...socks.html

Great, Michelle and Rebecca!! :bounce

Rebecca, I don't see why not. :thinking2 They will be thicker socks, but so what? Look through those pattern links to see which ones you can find that call for worsted weight.

Hey, I bought a book of sock patterns not long ago, but I haven't tried any out yet, so this might be just the push I need. If I can just clear up a couple of other projects, and find some suitable yarn....

Great, enmac! :bounce You can start whenever you want. :bigsmile

I've been looking through the free sock patterns some more and it seems like there is one for every weight of yarn. :thumbsup Even a couple patterns for which you can use any weight yarn you want. What book do you have?

I got this sock link from a mailing list I belong to - it's a sample from the Crocheted Socks! book Donna talked about - Easy Does It. I think I might use this one because I've considered buying this book and it could be a preview as to whether I'd like it or not. :)

i really want to make those ripple socks for my daughter, but following the pattern will make them too large. i do not yet know how to 'adjust' the scale/guage/hook size/pattern (whatever else:p ) to suit my needs. can anyone help me out with this?:thinking2

if this is one of those illegal copyright questions:nono , feel free to delete ;)

That is a perfectly fine question to ask. Please don't feel like asking for help with patterns is wrong. Ask away! :)

This will be my first experience with making socks, so I may be offering bad advice, but this is what I would do (and honestly, it might be the hardest way to do this! :fluffy ) -

Try a few rounds with smaller hooks until you find a hook that will work for the size of sock you want. Or let's say the pattern calls for a "G" for an adult size, start out with a "E" and see how that works with the yarn.

cool! so does that hold true for most things? like that bhg crochet mag that came out a while back that had a really cute peachy/orange dress i would like to make for my dtr.... just using a smaller hook will make the pattern smaller without distorting????

that would make me happy:bigsmile

Maybe not for all things. I know that Dot's hat wasn't working out when using a smaller hook, so she had to fix the pattern for a smaller size. You might be able to do that if you have a smaller yarn and use a smaller hook accordingly. Say the dress calls for worsted weight and you use sport yarn and a smaller hook, it should naturally just be a smaller gauge. But like I said, I could really wrong on this. :bigsmile

I started on my socks last night and boy, am I in love. :cloud9 This is so much fun! I'm going to take a picture of my progress soon, probably after I work a little more on them this weekend. :)

Guest SamplerLady

I finished two pair of socks earlier this year from yarn I dyed and spun myself. They are fraternal, not identical twins. I have another pair that is about 3/4s done. Perhaps I'll pick those up and finish them to join in. :frogQNV-a8CoBQIAAAHGMaI_11352_102.jpeg

Donna, I just realized the book I have is the Crocheted Socks! one you mentioned. I couldn't decide whether to start with the pattern I liked best, or to save that until I was more proficient and start with the simplest one, or one that used a type of yarn that I already had.

SamplerLady, love the fraternal twin description!

Great, antarachik! :thumbsup

Oooh, Tiff, you are ahead of me. I started a pair of socks before this CAL but haven't worked on them since. :b

That sounds great, SamplerLady! Please do join us! :thumbsup LOL about your fraternal twins socks. :lol

Don't feel guilty, Rebecca! Start whenever you want. I haven't worked on mine yet! :lol

enmac, that's great! Hmm... tough decision. I'm guessing I'd start with the one I liked best; I tend to just dive right in, LOL! :b

Archived