63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks JulieKay! :D

...Even though the 'ghan took FOREVER, now I'm considering buying the 63 more squares book and starting it up. Isn't that sick? lol!

----------

I think you should! I've been working on that book, and got majorly stalled because of life. We could use someone else in that CAL to get us moving again!

clocke: yay! congrats on finishing - it looks great.

Everyone: I am getting close: 57 squares finished! I laid them all out on my bed today to give me an idea of how the finished afghan will look, and I think it's looking pretty good! I have some concern with the size differences between a few squares, but I'm hoping it'll ease in when I stitch it all together. For a sneek peak, take a look here: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/?p=31

I was aiming to finish before Christmas, but now I think I should finish before the end of November :) Yay!

June

This is my current progress on this afghan. I made 28 squares. I skipped about a half of the squares published in the book because I did not find those to be right for me. I think I will make couple more squares and then move to the 63 more squares book. There is going to be 9 colors in this afghan.

http://gannka.blogspot.com/2006/11/63-crochet-squares-crochet-along.html

June. I love how you have organized your squares so the colours will be in order. One challenge I find with samplers is when there is just a jumble of patterns and colours with no apparent (to me) plan to it all.

Your colours are really nice for this. excellent work on your squares too.

It's looking really great!:cheer

This is my current progress on this afghan. I made 28 squares. I skipped about a half of the squares published in the book because I did not find those to be right for me. I think I will make couple more squares and then move to the 63 more squares book. There is going to be 9 colors in this afghan.

http://gannka.blogspot.com/2006/11/63-crochet-squares-crochet-along.html

June, congrats on finishing earlier than planned. :lol I know it's going to feel great! And that black edging is lovely, btw.

Anna, I like your color transitions. Very nice, reminds me of desert tones. :)

Thank you for your nice comments about my afghan in progress. Yesterday I made the last square from the 63 book, and moved on to the 63 more book. When I finish with it I will have to think about the border for the afghan, but I don't really know what kind do I want. There will be 9 colors in the afghan, and I made the square borders the same color as the square itself, so all colors are represented equally. Hmm, which one to choose for border? I don't know yet.

I've been working on this afghan since October,

I've reached square #29 now is it me or does this one seem slow going,

it's not a hard stitch, but it just sooooo slow growing. I'm thinking of subsituting it with something that works up quicker, I bought the 63 more squares book, so maybe I'll steal a pattern out of that.

forines13 and darski: thank you! :)

clocke: actually my edging is very dark blue, not black. I thought it would be a little less "harsh" against the other colours.

JulieKay: I'm using Bernat Berella 4 in Medium Country Blue, Soft Teal and True Mauve, and edging in Navy.

*EDITED* I was having trouble with square #63 (parallel cables) but I've figured it out now. I was doing the cables right but adding 3dc between each cable instead of 2dc :lol Halfway through now... this is my last square - woohoo!:yay

Mslilypond, some of the squares to take a bit longer to work up than the others. But at least some of them are worth the wait. :)

unfortunately I'm on a deadline, this is a christmas present for my Grandmother and do to convenience for quite a few members of the family, we celebrate christmas the weekend before (the 16th).

I think this would be a great stitch if i had more time. I ended up using

the Carousel square from priscillascrochet.com, I like this square so much, I might end up doing a whole blanket of them for my hubby.

Happy Hooking!:hook

p.s. this is the carousel square, that I finished on lunch: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mslilypond/carouselsquare-1.jpg

Michelle

Thanks for posting a photo of the carousel square . That is absolutely stunning ! VERY PRETTY and PERFECT work .:c9

I may have to add it to my list floating around in my brain..... the list is so long at this point, I have to roll it up just to store it in there ! :lol

I have finished my afghan! :yay Woohoo! I got there in the end and I'm very pleased with the result. I modified a couple of the squares (especially #53 - I thought it looked too crowded with the puffs so close together, so I did every other puff) but I've essentially stuck to the pattern and I placed all the squares in the same order as in the book.

I was going to do a scalloped edging, but ran out of yarn 2/3 around the edge so I went with a simple reverse sc border. I like it - it keeps the corners square and gives a bit more support to the floppier squares.

To everyone who is still going with this - keep at it! It's a fantastic feeling when it finally all comes together and you can look at this amazing afghan and say "I made this" :)

Please take a look at my finished afghan and let me know what you think: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/?p=33

Thanks!

June

Archived