63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm getting close to the end. I'm already obsessing about sewing all the squares together. It looks like I'm going to need to block the squares. I don't suppose anyone has blocked before? I have a blocking board, but am unclear as to whether you're supposed to pin the pieces with straight pins or safety pins...

I've read that when blocking one should use rust-free straight pins. But I've never actually tried to block before.

Does blocking actually do something? Because I thought that once the squares got sewn together, they'd get squished (or something of the sort) into place.

Pam, congrats on getting so close to the end! When I made this several years ago, I had squares in a variety of sizes and shapes, but once I sewed them all together, they ended up looking perfect. I think maybe you won't need to block them, and I expect once you assemble them together, your ghan will also be perfect.

Hi, Kristy! Way to go! :woo:party:clap

Enjoy your vacation! Are you going somewhere where there's sun and sand? :c9

hey, just a thought - I'm particular about keeping my pattern books nice and neat. If you are, too, you might consider copying the next 10 or so patterns out of the book and putting the copied pages in sheet protectors to take along to work from (I use a slim binder to keep my sheet-protected patterns organized). Have the booklet on your vacation, too, but in a nice safe place, like your room. (Copying a page or so from a copyrighted document for your own personal use is ok, whether you use a copy machine or write it out.) I'll be rooting for you! :cheer

I'm MIA on this CAL, since I signed up for waaaay too many CAL's at once and this one isn't tugging as hard as the others. But I'll be baaack! :D

I took pictures of squares 1-25 and created a gallery on my website for them.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swayde/63gallery.htm

I have to do some updating because #17 is duplicated and a few of the pictures came out very blurry. It seems my camera doesn't like the green for some reason =( I am too tired to do that now. I was just so excited that A) I finally got some pictures taken and B) I figured out how to create a gallery for them!

I am using Bernat by the way. The colors are Honey Brown, Country Blue and Country Green. The colors are slightly off on my camera, however, it still looks good in the pics, but it will look WAY better in person when it's done. I think the colors look amazing together and match my decor nicely.

Barabara - your gallery looks good! Those are nice colors.

I've made it thru square 10 and updated my photo album. Somehow I didn't get a photo of square 7, but I'll get one uploaded soon. Currently, I'm working on square 11. It's slow going with all those FP and BP stitches - not my favorite square!

Hi, Kristy! Way to go! :woo:party:clap

Enjoy your vacation! Are you going somewhere where there's sun and sand? :c9

hey, just a thought - I'm particular about keeping my pattern books nice and neat. If you are, too, you might consider copying the next 10 or so patterns out of the book and putting the copied pages in sheet protectors to take along to work from (I use a slim binder to keep my sheet-protected patterns organized). Have the booklet on your vacation, too, but in a nice safe place, like your room. (Copying a page or so from a copyrighted document for your own personal use is ok, whether you use a copy machine or write it out.) I'll be rooting for you! :cheer

I'm MIA on this CAL, since I signed up for waaaay too many CAL's at once and this one isn't tugging as hard as the others. But I'll be baaack! :D

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just gonna spend my vacation at home. I just wanted to get away from work for a while.

Kristy, sometimes I think that's the best kind of vacation. No packing, everything you're used to just where you can find it, and no worrrying about whether you brought the right yarn and/or hooks. Plus, Internet access! Enjoy, and be as productive as you want to be - it's your vacation! :c9 or :party, you get to choose!

Well, I'm on my LAST square. This is so exciting...now I can begin sewing them together. I'm probably only going to do a strip a day, and not try to do the whole thing at once...

Well, I'm on my LAST square. This is so exciting...now I can begin sewing them together. I'm probably only going to do a strip a day, and not try to do the whole thing at once...

---------

Congrats, Pam! And don't get too discouraged about the assembly. It'll feel like it takes forever, but it won't. And then what an accomplishment you'll have made!

Wow! Every single completed afghan posted here has been beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration. I've been meaning to make this afghan for years. I'm going to try making this with a lighter weight yarn so I might have to make more squares (gasp!) to make up the width and/or length difference of a complete afghan. I won't even try to guess how long it will take me so it looks like I'll be one of the last persons at the end.

Pam - How exciting to be at the last square. Now to get in sewn up - I'll be cheering you on! :cheer :cheer

Luv2, this is a fun afghan to make so please join in. I'm just now starting on square 12 so it will be awhile before I finish, too.

:clap Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap

I just started square # 11, I still have 3 and a half days left of my vacation. I hope to get at least 2 more done. I can't wait to see a picture of yours once its finished.

:clap Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap

I just started square # 11, I still have 3 and a half days left of my vacation. I hope to get at least 2 more done. I can't wait to see a picture of yours once its finished.

I envy you, being able to crochet and be on vacation...Congrats on your progress!

Well, I've done all the squares and have started blocking. I'm just doing the blocking where you pin the square to the board, spritz it with water, and let it dry. I want to make sure all the squares are uniform in size before I start sewing them together. I'm planning on doing one strip at a time, so I'll probably start sewing the first one tonight.

No word yet on whether or not the bride is going through with the wedding, but I figure I'll just give the afghan to her for Christmas if she bails...

I wanted to join the CAL, but I thought I had the wrong book, as mine was called 63 Easy To Crochet Afghan Stitches, had a different pamphlet # and a different picture.

However, I have been informed it is actually the same afghan, same patterns, same order. Each of the interior pictures is the same as the original (so I have been told).

I have a running tally on my blog, and I'm currently somewhere around 35 squares done.

I'm using Wool Ease gray, brick red, and hunter green with an I hook. So that means mine will be a little big, but it's a secret present for my 6'4" hubby, so that's great!

I've been skipping around a lot, and avoiding the relief and post stitch squares. Not that I don't like relief and post stitches, I just don't really like the way they're done in the book.

I've decided to use Red Heart in Soft White in place of the Ecru. I think that I'm going to try to use a similar color theme as the original pattern. So far, I've finished 8 of the ~Ecru~ squares. After reading through this entire thread of posts, hopefully I can make faster progress by avoiding any potential pitfalls.

I've posted my completed squares in a folder here. And I'll be posting my progress in my blog.

I've decided to use Red Heart in Soft White in place of the Ecru. I think that I'm going to try to use a similar color theme as the original pattern. So far, I've finished 8 of the ~Ecru~ squares. After reading through this entire thread of posts, hopefully I can make faster progress by avoiding any potential pitfalls.

I've posted my completed squares in a folder here. And I'll be posting my progress in my blog.

I looked at your pictures of your completed squares, you may want to use a darker backdrop for the lighter squares the stitches are hard to see.

Luv2stitch, your squares are beautifully done - so regular and... well, square! I'm counting on the joining to make mine square! :lol

Well, I'm sewing the squares together...I must say, blocking them first has helped to make them more uniform in size. However, it's going to take me the rest of my natural life to sew these all together! I've been doing a strip of nine a night. I figure I'll sew the strips together next, and then do the border.

I wanted to join the CAL, but I thought I had the wrong book, as mine was called 63 Easy To Crochet Afghan Stitches, had a different pamphlet # and a different picture.

However, I have been informed it is actually the same afghan, same patterns, same order. Each of the interior pictures is the same as the original (so I have been told).

I have a running tally on my blog, and I'm currently somewhere around 35 squares done.

I'm using Wool Ease gray, brick red, and hunter green with an I hook. So that means mine will be a little big, but it's a secret present for my 6'4" hubby, so that's great!

I've been skipping around a lot, and avoiding the relief and post stitch squares. Not that I don't like relief and post stitches, I just don't really like the way they're done in the book.

Hi KateCrochets. :hi Belated welcome. :laughroll

How does the Wool-Ease work up? Is it a pretty thick result? Or is it about the same as an acrylic worsted? And does it felt? Because I see it at the store and I'd love to make something out of it (they have some great colors!), but I get the feeling that not only will I end up with an afghan or sock with the thickness of a pillow, but then it will felt down to doll size the minute I wash it. :yarn

Luv2stitch, your squares are beautifully done - so regular and... well, square! I'm counting on the joining to make mine square! :lol

Thanks so much for the nice words. I was hoping that this CAL would provide positive encouragement to keep on going.

The edging does -square- them up nicely. I've had a productive weekend and am currently on my 20th square.

I've decided to use Simply Soft Victorian Rose and Red Heart Frosty Green.

Archived