63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Just stopped by to say Hi :hi

Haven't gotten any further on my chevron relief stitch - worked some other projects instead. I don't think I'm very good at doing more than one CAL at a time.....:think

will be back (soon!) to report progress (there! I've made a promise - so now I'm going to have to actually solve that preachercuss square!):hook

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Kristen! Boy, when you say you want to start, you move on out! glad to hear you dove right in. I love the caron simply soft - are you using that or the Natura/Perfect Match? the blue, tan, and cream combo ought to be very elegant together - nice picks :c9

well I did pick up the book and got square 1 complete. I am using caron yarn in a blue, tan and cream, not sure the names right now.

Similar to the colors I am using =) I got Bernat in country blue, green and honey brown! Just don't do what I did and move onto something else after 1 square and let it sit for a year.

Welcome to the 63 squares club =)

Oh and, I got #10 done last night =)

Kristen and Swayde,

:welcome Welcome to the CAL! I love that combo of colors and can't wait to see pictures. I have been doing this afghan very sporadically for the last several months in all different colors (to break up my stash). It is one of my UFO's I am trying to finish. When I see people start up, it gives me new motivation, so I'll try to keep up with the two of you, OK? See you on the CAL!

Hi Patricia - don't tell Dazy I'm working on more than one UFO, OKAY?:eek

Kristen and Swayde,

:welcome Welcome to the CAL! I love that combo of colors and can't wait to see pictures. I have been doing this afghan very sporadically for the last several months in all different colors (to break up my stash). It is one of my UFO's I am trying to finish. When I see people start up, it gives me new motivation, so I'll try to keep up with the two of you, OK? See you on the CAL!

Hi Patricia - don't tell Dazy I'm working on more than one UFO, OKAY?:eek

Thanks =) I originally signed up for this CAL over a year ago (My how time flies!) but I kept putting it off to get other things done, mostly baby items for expecting family and friends. I finally got all of that done and have some time to devote to myself, which this blanket will be for my bed when it's finished! I am having fun and posting my progress is great incentive for me to at least make a bit of progress each day.

12 and 13 done! 13 was a total breeze compared to some of the others, it went by really fast. I started on 14 but need to give my hands a break for awhile. It feels really good to finally be making real progress on this project, I hope everyone manages to spark their enthusiasm for it too so we can all get this done and start something new! :cheer

I haven't paid attention to the names of the squares, just the numbers. I have labeled them so I'll go back and see what the names are too. They are fun to make even if some are too big or too small and I have to redo a few. Good practice and good way to learn the patience I never had until I began to crochet.:sun

Joyce

I finished the Ripple Stitch square this morning. I liked this one...I think it would make a nice stitch for a Project Linus blanket...

Well.. I'm glad I only had 2 squares done so far, I had went to Wal-Mart tonight to pick up some more yarn, but for some strange reason, they only had the dark red that I was using, so now I'm going to make it in Country Blue, Warm Brown, and Soft White, all Red Heart super savers

Now whose house can I fly to so they can hands on show me this stitich LOL

Lol! I hope that chevron square hasn't gotten the better of you. If you were in South Carolina, I'd offer to meet for coffee 'n' crochet; the chevron gave me much less trouble than, say, the trinity square. :D

Hello, I'm new to Crochetville and to the 63 squares forum. I'm a "re-beginner" at crochet. I first learned the basic stitches in a junior high home ec class 30+ years ago, but seldom used it for more than making nice edgings on sewing projects. Now my teenaged son is a violinist and I have to sit through lots of lessons and rehearsals, so I started doing little projects last fall to keep busy while I wait. The 63 squares is my first afghan.

The first 5 squares went quite easily, however #6 has me a bit stuck. I found this site by a Google search when I was trying to find help for the Trinity stitch (square #6). I'm now on my fourth attempt on it!! :( I just can't seem to keep the row ends even. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(BTW- I'm glad to see that other people chose different yarn colors for the pattern. I have 9 solid colors for the blocks and a multicolor (Red Heart "Painted Desert" to join them.)

I plan to join as soon as the site is up. I've already bought my book and have 1 and a half squares done.

Did you try the "Up Down Stitch.. #52" ?... I think that's what it's called :think I tried it whenever I got home and found it to be EXTREMELY easy lol

Well, I'm up to the Picot Stitch Square (#50), which is tricky, as you sort of lose track of where the stitches are that you have to do in between the picots. I ended up putting safety pins all along the row where they are, as I was ending up with several picots where I should have only had one <g>.

As for people stuck with the Trinity Stitch, I ended up googling and found a site where they give a much better explanation on how to do that stitch (the name of the site escapes me, but I'm sure it can be found again through a search).

OK - thanks to Patricia's suggestion - I'm jumping on board with the 63 Squares Crochet Along. This is my first Crochet Along AND my first afghan so I suspect I will NEED the support of my fellow crocheters.

I finally have my pattern and most of my yarn. I plan on working in 5 shades of Mission Falls 1824 Cotton: Ivory, Goldenrod, Moss, Lemongrass, and Pebble. A very "natural" sounding color palette from the sound of those names, huh?

I'll keep you posted on my progress - I'm ready to start RIGHT now but I do have a law school final to study for so I better keep my priorities straight.

After reading the posts, I'm already worried a bit about gauge issues between the squares and I'm prepared for the "trouble" squares.

Kelli

Hi, Kelli, welcome! I've been AWOL for a while, working on my quiltghan and coming to grips with a few UFO's - so, I haven't been working or posting in this CAL recently (my bad), but I'm ready to jump back in!

and Barbara Anne, if you have a short attention span, then mine must be too small to measure! You are staying on task, I, on the other hand, signed up for too many CAL's! :help

Sign me up! This will be my third CAL that I'm involved in right now -- maybe I'm crazy:shrug, but to be honest I'm cheating and the 63 squares are a UFO for me that I'm also using to qualify for the UFO CAL (not that this is my only UFO mind you).

I think I have about 20 squares done so far, but I haven't looked at them in a while, so I need to pull it out and count and see what is left to do. I am using the same colors in the pattern - sage, dusty rose, and off-white.

Will post an update once I count the squares.

Ok, I overestimated a little - I have 15 done. But looking at some of them, I may frog and re-do, the gauge is off, and I noticed a few of them are not really square, but are slanted. I started this about 5 years ago when I was just getting back into crochet and so they're not my best work. :no

Archived